Scottish Oatcakes

Home Forums Recipes Scottish Oatcakes

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

Scottish Oatcakes makes about 15 oatcakes

Marliss Desens adapted this recipe a bag of Bob's Red Mill Scottish Oatmeal. These cracker/cookies have just a hint of sweetness and would work with cheese or with jam if desired, but they are wonderful on their own. For a more cookie result, doubling the cane sugar might work.

1 cup BRM Scottish Oatmeal
      1/3 cup whole wheat pastry flour
      1 tsp. cane sugar
      Slightly heaping 1/8 tsp. salt
      Slightly heaping 1/8 tsp. baking powder

2 Tbs. avocado oil
      1 Tbs. buttermilk
      3 Tbs. water

Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Preheat oven to 325F with rack in middle of oven.

In small bowl, whisk together the first five ingredients. In very small bowl, whisk together avocado oil, buttermilk, and water for at least a minute until thoroughly combined. Add to oatmeal mixture and use a fork to toss together (as with a pie crust), then a bowl scraper to bring the dough together.

Roll dough to ¼ inch thickness. (Note: I usually roll and re-roll dough on the parchment on which I plan to bake the oatcakes, using a piece of saran over the dough.) Use a 2-inch biscuit cutter and cut out cakes, re-rolling dough as needed. Bake 25-27 minutes, or until golden. Allow to cool on pan.

Note: I used a small heart cutter and got 29 plus one blob oatcake. I baked these for 20 minutes.

What I changed. The original recipe was Bob's Favorite Scottish Oatcakes. The one on the Bob's Red Mill site had too much water; the bag recipe reduced it. I created this version when I had only 1 cup of the Scottish Oatmeal and adjusted the flour, salt, and baking powder. I increased the amount of cane sugar, and that little bit is all that is needed. I replaced ¼ cup of melted butter in the original recipe with a reduced amount of avocado oil and buttermilk, and I greatly reduced the water.

Spread the word
    Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.