Romertopf Bread Bowl

Home Forums General Discussions Romertopf Bread Bowl

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

As I'm unpacking items, I came across a Romertopf Bread bowl that I bought from King Arthur, long ago when I was young and foolish and didn't realize their first aim was selling not necessarily about great baking tools. I didn't get around to using it, and it has no recipes with it. I've spent the last hour searching the internet for recipes, and I only located two. One is a little odd. Here is the other one, and even it seems to suggest that a lid would be useful:

http://www.romertopfdirect.com/USA/Romertopf-Recipes/Bread-Recipes

In googling Roertopf, I get recipes for covered bakers--even when I specify "bowl" or "uncovered"--which makes me suspect that the bread bowls on their own were not perhaps the best of ideas. (As I said, long ago, I was naïve about King Arthur's motives.) I'm thinking of trying the bread recipe that I go from Antilope on The Baking Circle years ago, and which I posted here at Nebraska Kitchen. I've made it as a boule before, using a large cake pan, but I think that it would work in the bowl.

I assume that I don't soak the bowl, since it has a glazed interior, but that I would need to start it in a cold oven.

I'm not sure when I will try this experiment, but it will probably not be until the weather cools off a bit. If anyone has experience with the Romertopf BPWL, uncovered, please let me know.

Spread the word
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

I always thought Romertopf dishes were covered and this site seems to confirm that:
        Breadtopia on Romertopf. BTW, it says that the bottom is glazed but the lid is not. The point, I assume, is that as moisture evaporates from the dough it is trapped as steam.

Have you tried contacting King Arthur to see if they have any recipes they'd suggest?

BakerAunt
        Participant

I'm beginning to think he breads work better with a cover. I searched the KAF website, but did not find any recipes, probably because they only sold it for a short period. I do have a binder with recipes that I cut out of KAF catalogues over the years, so I may browse it and see what I can find. I think that I would need to do some steam to compensate for there being no lid.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.