Red Onion and Salmonella Alert

Home Forums General Discussions Red Onion and Salmonella Alert

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant
      cwcdesign
      Participant

Good thing I haven’t been buying them

skeptic7
        Participant

I very rarely eat red onions. I had a recipe that called for them earlier in the year but that was the first in several years. What is the advantage of red onions over white and yellow? Are the sweet like Vidalia onions?

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

Raw red onions are used more for their color than flavor, when you cook them the color pretty much goes away.

I used to make onion soup using half red and half yellow onions, just because the recipe I was using called for that.

White onions are stronger than either red or yellow onions.

Sweet onions are entirely different, ordinary yellow onions get pretty sweet if you caramelize them. I made a batch of French onion soup with Vidalia onions once, it was almost too sweet to eat.

BakerAunt
            Participant

I have several salad recipes that call for raw red onion, usually with an oil and vinegar dressing. As my husband has asked me to avoid using regular onions for now, I have not been buying red ones. I have a couple of yellow ones that I use for me in tuna salad or soup.

RiversideLen
              Participant

It's not just red onions, it's all onions that came from that producer. Here's additional information about it, Onion Recall

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.