Red Anjou Pears

Home Forums General Discussions Red Anjou Pears

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

The honey people at the farmers' market have started bringing their fruit. It's not pretty because they do not spray, but their peaches are wonderful. Last market they had red Anjou pears. My husband was with me, and he tends to check my adventurousness: What will you do with them? I googled red Anjou pears, and they seem mostly to end up in high-end salads or being poached in sweet syrup rather than being used for baking.

Any suggestions? I would like to support these beekeepers. My favorite pear for baking has always been Bosc.

Spread the word
      Joan Simpson
      Participant

BakerAunt my mom always made pear preserves, but ours was the green ones and she cooked them down and at the end of cooking added in a can of crushed pineapple and they were always so good.I make them and one of my girlfriends told me she put them over ice cream.One of my dads favorite on toast.

BakerAunt
        Participant

That does sound good, Joan. I cannot get away with pineapple, since my husband cannot take its acidity. I have found a crosata (Italian version of the French galette) recipe that uses Anjou pears. They are cooked down until soft, then removed, and the juices cooked until thick. If the pears are still available at the market, I may try that recipe.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.