Paying for good restaurant bread

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls Paying for good restaurant bread

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

A recent trend in restaurants is upgrading the bread basket to a bread course with a price tag of up to $20.

I've had some restaurant bread I'd pay for, including the most memorable hard rolls I've ever had (which we did, in fact, pay for refills of.)

I know just how hard it is to make really good bread.

Hopefully this link (gifted on another site) will work:

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

The link did not work for me.

Often the breadbasket was put out to keep diners occupied while food is prepared. That results in some underwhelming contents. Some diners would ignore the baskets because they were told that weight loss meant giving up all bread, so the bread would be wasted. At the very least, servers should ask if diners actually want bread with their meal.

One restaurant I recall from when we lived in Lubbock had a marvelous selection of three different kinds of bread in their basket, and I would certainly have paid for it.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

The article appears to be coming up on the NY Times website without logging in.

RiversideLen
          Participant

The link didn't work so I went to the NY Times site but I couldn't get past their paywall.

If the bread is special I would pay for it, depending on the price.

BakerAunt
            Participant

I was able to read the article because my weekly email from Smitten Kitchen had the article unlocked. I was startled by the prices. I am not sure that I would pay $20 for a basket of bread. I would be thinking, "I can bake great bread for less!" I also noted that many of the breads trended to be enriched, so the butter content is likely higher than my current way of eating allows.

I would be more likely to splurge on a special dessert that I would not be making at home.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.