New York Bakers is Closing Down

Home Forums General Discussions New York Bakers is Closing Down

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

I received the following email from New York Bakers:

Dear NYB Customer,

After 12 years of offering professional ingredients in consumer-sized packaging, we've come to recognize that it's time for a change. The pandemic, rising shipping costs and the loss of our lease has motivated us to rethink our business model.

Starting October 1, The New York Bakers will concentrate on consulting to the trade and - as soon as conditions allow - our bakery tours to Europe and beyond. In addition, we'll also be offering a curated list of professional flours and malts in trade-sized packaging, typically 40- to 50-pound bags.

To clear the decks for our new business model, we're offering our remaining stock at 30% off across the board. Quantities are limited, and when an item disappears from our website, it's sold out. You can find a complete listing of our in-stock inventory here. Please act today, because the items you want may not be available tomorrow.

I also personally like to thank all of you for your continuing support. It's been a great 12 years since The New York Bakers opened its virtual doors, and we deeply appreciate your business.

Thank you for everything,

Stan Ginsberg
      Proprietor, The New York Bakers
      Author, Inside the Jewish Bakery and The Rye Baker

Spread the word
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

Its unfortunate, but not really unexpected. We are losing businesses every day. (And God help you if you're a small landlord, because the government isn't!)

Today's Johnson & Wales International Bread Symposium demo was on baking using freshly milled whole grains, the whole berries have the advantage of being easier to store than milled flour, though not necessarily cheaper or easier to find suppliers for.

BakerAunt
        Participant

I considered buying some items at the sale, but then I recalled why I only bought from NY Bakers once: the shipping is very expensive.

I still might consider buying some coarse rye meal for a couple of Rye Baker recipes I wanted to try.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

I ordered both of their rye flour selections, mostly because there weren't other places that had that wide a selection. Still haven't found sources for several of them, even if I buy 50 pound bags, and for quite a few of those the shipping winds up being more than the cost of the flour!

I'm thinking I might try to source some cleaned rye berries, and just make my own whole meal rye flours.

skeptic7
            Participant

I'm sorry to hear that NY Bakers will no longer be selling non commercial amounts. I never bought anything from them but it was nice to know that these things were available if you could use 50 lbs of a rare flour. I like their blog and recipes.

BakerAunt
              Participant

Skeptic--the pumpkin-rye bread recipe on the blog is wonderful and does not use a starter. It uses medium rye and mostly whole wheat flour.

skeptic7
                Participant

BakerAunt;
                  Thank you. I saved the recipe and will have to try it sometime especially as it doesn't call for a sweetner. I like the seeds and the spices to keep it from getting boring.

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

I got the impression they might still be willing to sell to end consumers in 40-50 pound bags, but whether their prices, including shipping from the west coast, are better than from other suppliers, such as ones closer to where the grain is grown and milled, is just one factor in deciding what to order and from where. Sometimes it's all about availability.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.