National Cornstarch Shortage?

Home Forums General Discussions National Cornstarch Shortage?

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

The latest USDA egg price survey has large eggs at around $3.60/dozen in the midwest, but I also saw an article today talking about how the bird flu is still ravaging producers.

chocomouse
      Participant

Large white eggs today are 5.29 at BJs, but still 5.59 at the local grocery. Their ad for next week says 5.09. I've given up thinking about how to save on food costs. I'm going to buy whatever I want to eat and enjoy it.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

Fortunately, food budgeting isn't currently an issue for us, either, though our food tastes aren't that expensive anyway. But even the cheaper foods like hotdogs have gone up in price by 25% in the last year.

We just got the preliminary assessment on our house for 2023 and it went up a whopping 54% after several years of nominal changes, though most of our neighbors went up more like 10-25%.

skeptic7
          Participant

Ouch thats a lot. I haven't looked at real estate taxes recently but my car tax has gone up. I think they go by Blue Book Values and used car prices have increased. I expect the real estate taxes has gone up but I live in Washington DC suburbs and most house prices have gone up in the last couple of years.

I had to buy a 10lb bag of KAF all purpose at Kroger as they didn't have any 5lb bags today. They had KAF organic flours and whole wheat in 5lb bags. They had a lot of KAF flour during the holidays.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

The Wall Street Journal has a story today on how people fed up with the high price of eggs are buying chicks and raising them.

It often turns out to be a lot more expensive than buying eggs at the store, and a lot messier and smellier, too. (We had a small chicken coop and 4-5 chickens when I was young, so I know the downsides!)

BakerAunt
              Participant

The Washington Post had an article advising people to think again if considering the idea of buying chicks to counter the egg shortage. It mentioned how difficult it is to care for the chicks, who require a special heat lamp when small, as well as other care. It also pointed out the predator problem: rats, snakes, raccoons, etc. Chickens also slow down laying in the winter, and after six years or so, they are done laying.

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

Eggs were $3.34/dozen at WalMart today.

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

Feed is often the killer, unless you have a good source for locally grown feed, it can cost several dollars a week per bird.

My mother was never squeamish about killing and plucking a chicken once it had stopped laying, and that was Sunday dinner.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.