Kid Pizza’s Rice Pudding in a Crockpot Thread

Home Forums Threads Saved from the KAF Baking Circle Kid Pizza’s Rice Pudding in a Crockpot Thread

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

Rice Pudding in a Crockpot

reply by: KIDPIZZA on September 17, 2015 at 11:57 am
      Good morning my dear friend. Penelope, I am going to post my RICE PUDDING recipe that you asked me for. Due to it's length I will post it in 2, segments. I will finish it tomorrow or maybe later in the day.
      This recipe isn't very difficult to do despite its length it has just a few ingredients. It must be completed in a certain way so that at the end you will get THAT CREAMY TEXTURE that seems to be ABSENT in the home based renditions or in the typical recipes After you make my rendition just once you will not need my written directions any longer.....it becomes self explanatory.
      COMES NOW:
      Prepare Slow~Cooker by rubbing a stick of butter on bottom surface & up its sides. This should done because of the starch in the rice has a tendency as well as the sugar to stick to its surfaces, making it very difficult to clean the cooker well.

1, peel of a lemon (Pith is okay) & 2, Cinnamon sticks placed in cooker.
      Milk (Regular)......................................3.5, cups........................28.,oz.......................(87.5)
      '
      # Half & Half Milk.....................................1/2, cup.........................4,oz.........................(12.5%)
      .............................................................,----------------------------------------------------------------
      ...............................................................4, cups.....32, oz............32, oz......................100%
      # # Rice, (Jasmine)...................................1/2,cup + 2, Tbls............4 ,3/8ths oz .............13.5%
      Sugar......................................................3,1/2 cups, + 1,Tbls........3, 5/8ths oz............11%
      Raisins....................................................3,Tbls..............................1, oz.....................3, 1/8ths
      ...................................................................................................-----41,oz------------------127.5%
      ..Extracts & Spices to your taste...I use only Cinn & nutmeg. Mostly cinn. but
      .your choice.
      As far as the extracts go I use Vanilla & at least 1 tsp, lemon Extract...Your call.
      .... END OF 1st SEGMENT.
      ~CASS.
      .2ND SEGMENT:
      ## Buy the half & half in a 8, oz or larger carton. The balance of approx. 4, oz is to be employed to get the creamy consistency of the pudding that at the end when cooled that suits you.
      Begin by mixing all the ingredients except the sugar, rains & spices/extracts. on ~HI~ for about 45, minutes then on ~LO~ setting for about 3.5, hours plus/minus. Stirring evry now & then.
      Remove lemon peel & cinn sticks after about 2 1/2 hours. Otherwise it may turn bitter in the pudding. Stop cooking when the liquid is approx. 1/4 inch above the rice level. The pudding & rice will continue to cook from the residual heat.& dry out the pudding.
      As for the rice is concerned do not use long grain because its starch content is less than other rice & the starch is what will coagulate this pudding, not eggs or cornstarch. I use jasmine rice you can use short or medium grain rice . Do not wash the rice because you will wash away the starch...the rice is washed by steam before it is packaged.
      When completed & it has cooled by maybe 15. 20, minutes mix in the sugar & raisins & spices/extracts. Stir well for 45, seconds to melt the sugar. Continue to cool for a while then pour in a oversized bowl cover & place in fridge. Next day stir to loosen & begin adding 1/2 1/2 1,TBLS at a time till you get the consistency you demand Blend in spices & extracts. NOTE:
      you can use whipping cream in lieu of 1/2 1/2 milk.
      For service after you portion the amounts, drizzle Cinn lightly over the surface for presentation purposes.
      It is best to read these direction multiple times so that you can visualize mentally & understand why MY TECHNIQUE while get for you what you want in a rice pudding that is never to be most often
      Good luck Ladies...I hope HIMSELF will approve of my recipe Penelope. Promises made...Promises kept.
      ~CASS.

reply by: KIDPIZZA on September 20, 2015 at 8:54 am
      MRS.CINDY:
      Good Morning. Cynthia, thank you for the pleasant post. I was about to close down the computer & said to myself go to the BC one more time, & there you were. See if you can get a 3 to 3.25 quart size. That is what I have. I use 80,oz of milk /half & half to cook & extra to loosen it up the after it has lost it's heat to get it creamy.
      I hope Penelope & CWC & Buttercup will enjoy it. I only gave this recipe out & my prep technique out once many years ago.
      Last nite while watching boring TV I began writing up a modification for a choco/tapioca pudding
      recipe. I will use my technique as well for it sans the choco. This is just to see whatever else needs to be done. Once I get that perfected I will add one ingredient that will be a large compliment for it. A least that is what my culinary imagination tells me. That will remain a secret for now. If I get perfected as always I will share it with you so that you can critique it. When ??? SOON!!!! A great many years Crooner Bing Crosby recorded a song named SOON. I have it & I play it a few times a week. When will I play it again???? SOON I do not when... but SOON!!!!
      (LOL)
      . I love you my dear friend Cynthia.
      ~CASS.

reply by: Livingwell on September 20, 2015 at 12:25 pm
      Good morning, Cass! I printed out your recipe to make rice pudding today, but want to clarify the amount of sugar before I get started and make a mistake here. Am I reading the amount right, 3-1/2 C. of sugar?? My two tried and true rice pudding recipes that call for the same amount of rice and milk as yours only use 3T. - 1/2 C. I want to make sure I do your recipe justice! Thanks for your help! "Penelope"

reply by: KIDPIZZA on September 20, 2015 at 2:57 pm
      LIVINGWELL:
      Good afternoon. Penelope, thank you for catching my error. You are correct. Use your amount. My arithmetic comes out to 1/2, cup + 1.5 TBLS, Remember Penelope, you can make the adjustments next morning or when cooled to suit yourself.
      I will now correct my set~up...I hope CWC & Buttercup will see it.
      ~CASS.

reply by: KIDPIZZA on September 20, 2015 at 3:02 pm
      BUTTERCUP & CWC:
      Anita & Carol, note the sugar amount is 1/2 cup +1.5 TBLS in the rice pudding recipe All other arithmetic is correct. Sorry for the inconvenience.
      ~CASS

reply by: cwcdesign on September 21, 2015 at 7:08 am
      Thanks for the clarifications and the rest of the recipe. I have not been near my computer in a few days, but hope I get a chance to make it this week. Michael loved rice pudding and this would be a great recipe to try on the boys.
      -
      Did I miss it or did you include the approximate amount of time for cooking? I must admit I've only read through the recipe once so the time might be there.

reply by: KIDPIZZA on September 21, 2015 at 7:27 am
      CWCDESIGN:
      Good morning. Carol, I am not very certain but when I cooked this recipe in the past I made 3, plus quarts & that took approx. 3 1/2 hours. I plan on making about 1/2 that much soon. I doubt it will take less than 2 1/2 hours.
      Good luck & I hope your family enjoys it. I am going to experiment with Tapioca pudding at the same time when I make my next load of Rice Pudding. I am going to see if I can apply the same techniques as I have used in the Rice Pudding. Do you like Tapioca Pudding?????
      Good luck & enjoy the day.
      ~CASS.

reply by: cwcdesign on September 21, 2015 at 8:23 pm
      Hi Cass, I did understand how you put the measurements volume, then weight, then percentage. It appears that there is a missing ingredient between the half & half and rice. There are quantities for 4 cups/32 oz. is that for additional half & half?

reply by: buttercup on September 21, 2015 at 10:00 pm
      I believe Cass is adding the milk and the 1/2 & 1/2 together and is just showing the total as 32oz. I hope I'm right, but that's what I thought.

reply by: KIDPIZZA on September 22, 2015 at 5:41 am
      CWCDESIGN:
      Good early morning my friend. The 4, cups space then 32,oz means 4, cups = 32, oz. Anita explained it very well.
      I hope I was able to explain it much better this time.
      Enjoy the rest of the day my friend.
      ~CASS

reply by: buttercup on September 25, 2015 at 8:34 am
      Good morning Cass, I have a question about your recipe. You said to remove the lemon peel after 2-1/2 hrs. Do you start the timing from the first 45 min. on hi or the 3-1/2 hrs. on low? I plan on making it this morning and just wanted to check with you or if anyone has made your recipe yet. Thank you again for the recipe.

reply by: KIDPIZZA on September 25, 2015 at 9:13 am
      BUTTERCUP:
      Good morning. Anita, after starting you can remove those 2, additions approx. in 2.5 hours Anita, remember re~read the directions many times before starting. Remember that you can make your adjustments after the pudding has cooled even after an overnite in the fridge....also remember not to screw up the lining of your crock pot do not mix in the sugar until you shut the cooker on off & you can mix it in after 15, minutes as well if you wish.
      Good luck & enjoy the day my good friend.
      ~CASS.

reply by: buttercup on September 26, 2015 at 11:32 pm
      Cass your rice pudding was delicious, DH loved it and I had two bowls myself (not good for my waist line). I think I might have let it cook to long, but the extra 1/2 & 12 fixed that problem. Can't wait till Sunday night after dinner so I can have more. Thanks again for the recipe and the butter tip as well. So good..............yum, yum, yum

reply by: KIDPIZZA on September 30, 2015 at 6:15 am
      LIVINGWELL:
      Good early morning my dear friend. Yes, Penelope, keep the cover on till the milk is approx. 1/4, inch above the rice. The residual heat will have the rice continue to SUCK up the liquid & it's appearance will be that you overcooked the concoction even if you do it is a no matter. Then remember, we add additional half & half when totally cooled to get the creamy consistency that you want in your pudding.
      Penelope remember, PLEASE re~read the instructions... you can add spices & extracts when cooled for adjustment purposes.
      Enjoy the day the day Penelope.
      ~CASS.

reply by: Mike Nolan on September 30, 2015 at 11:55 pm
      Cass, I don't have jasmine rice because my wife won't eat it. I have a big container of what I think is Royal basmati rice (I bought a 20 pound bag of it at Sam's, but the bag itself is long gone.)
      I also have smaller containers of arborio rice, which I use for risotto.
      Of these, which do you think would make the best rice pudding?

reply by: KIDPIZZA on October 01, 2015 at 9:21 am
      MIKE NOLAN:
      Good morning friend Mike. Truthfully Mike I do not know which rice is best to use. I did read some time ago in times past in a rice pudding recipe that was ARBORIO rice was of choice. I think it is a Italian rice. Which can be bought in a Italian Deli store probably.
      Mike try it with what you have (but do not wash it) & let us know so that we can buy the less expensive rice. To me otherwise rice is rice except in cooking it may make a big difference. I buy jasmine rice in the .99 cents store for 1, # for .99 cents. Sunday after church services & on my way home, I bought 4, packages & 1, pack cellophane pack of raisins...all for .99, each.
      Anyway Mike, whichever rice you chose, let us know how it worked up for you as far as the rice is concerned. Whichever one you select, I am sure it will be a success.
      Enjoy the day.
      ~CASS.

reply by: cwcdesign on October 01, 2015 at 4:44 pm
      Mike, my favorite crockpot rice pudding recipe (so far - I haven't tried KP's yet) uses arborio rice and it is nice and creamy, so you might want to go ahead and give it a try. I'll be interested in your results. I did buy jasmine rice at the market last week, so I'm good to go.

reply by: cwcdesign on October 11, 2015 at 6:40 pm
      livingwell, here is the crockpot recipe I use for rice pudding. It comes from Lynn Alley's book, The Gourmet Slow Cooker. It's based on a Greek recipe called rizogalo. She says you can add egg for a richer version (I never have).

1 cup Arborio rice
      5 cups whole milk
      2/3 cup sugar
      1 tablespoon vanilla extract (pure, of course)
      1/2 cinnamon stick, broken into pieces and finely ground - I think I've just used good cinnamon - about 1/2 tsp)
      pinch of salt
      Combine all ingredients in slow cooker and mix well. Cover and cook on low for 4 hours, stirring occasionally, or until thick and creamy.
      Transfer pudding to individual dishes or one large dish (which I usually do) and refrigerate for 2-3 hours.
      I think I've added raisins on occasion.
      Easy peasy, but I am going to give Cass's a try again with less sugar and longer cooking.

reply by: KIDPIZZA on October 13, 2015 at 7:52 am
      TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN:
      Good morning Ladies. The reason you cannot make a good rice pudding employing BROWN RICE is that this rice has been PROCESSED...Hence the STARCH has been removed in the process.
      Soooo, the starch is needed to help coagulate the pudding.
      You'll have a nice day my friends.
      ~CASS.

reply by: bakeraunt on October 26, 2015 at 11:37 pm
      Ok, Livingwell, repeat after us: "I solemnly swear not to allow any baked goods to leave my house without selflessly having tested them for Quality Control."

reply by: Livingwell on October 27, 2015 at 7:53 am
      I do solemnly swear, etc. etc. etc. 😉 What I do in the name of friendship!

reply by: Mrs Cindy on October 27, 2015 at 6:37 pm
      Bakeraunt, thank you for the precise wording of the QC oath. I knew it at one time, but had forgotten it. Thank you!
      ~Cindy

Spread the word
      • This topic was modified 7 years, 10 months ago by BakerAunt.
    Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.