Icing Decoration That Will Last without Refrigeration

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls Icing Decoration That Will Last without Refrigeration

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    cwcdesign
    Participant

I wonder if you could use regular dried milk from the grocery store.

Len, I believe that since the dried mil has been through all kinds of processes to make it shelf stable, it woudon't not revert back to milk as you would get from a carton. Have you ever tasted milk made from that ?

Italiancook
      Participant

RiversideLen, thanks for the recipe link.

I make my grandmother's white frosting, which an Internet recipe calls "Baker's Icing." It requires making a white sauce with milk. Because the milk is cooked, I've never refrigerated the cake after it's frosted. But I've always wondered if that was safe. No one has become sick from eating the icing over a few days. Yet, I still wonder.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

Sounds like the cooked flour frosting that was the one originally used on Red Velvet cakes before most bakeries switched over to using a cream cheese frosting on them.

Sarah Wirth recommends that frosting, I tried making it once and must have done something wrong, because we thought it was inedible.

BakerAunt
          Participant

Thanks, Riverside Len for the link. I did not frost them after all. I did put them on 8-inch cake circles that I covered with the gold foil that Wilton makes (had it left over from a graduation cake a few years back where one school color was gold). I didn't have the right size of Christmas food gift wrap for them, so I had to think about the presentation. I was able to use a bread bag around each, with the cake circle on the bottom, the cake nicely centered on it, then the bag closed at the top with a twisty tie, and a label that I made and attached with red Baker's twine.

The frosting might work with powdered milk from the store. I think, however, that I would process the powdered milk until it was of a very fine consistency. I don't know if the KAF special Baker's powdered milk would work. I don't know if it can be reconstituted in the same way. I do know that it is more concentrated than what we buy in the store.

I wonder if powdered coconut milk might work.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

My concern about using powdered milk from the store is the smell, how do you keep that from permeating the frosting?

S_Wirth
              Participant

The KAF Baker's Special Dry milk does not reconstitute in liquids.

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop-img/labels/1443555846239.pdf

S_Wirth
                Participant

The cooked flour/milk frosting is my favorite frosting aside from German Chocolate homemade frosting.

We had many threads on my recipe and variations on the BC but I do not like it made using butter. Crisco makes it much better and more fluffy in my opinion. Mine is much like Twinkie and Ding Dong cakes filling.

I use many oil flavorings and they work so well with this frosting. Lemon, orange, coconut, butter pecan, peppermint, pumpkin, pralines and cream and so many others are great with this frosting.

http://boyajianinc.com/

http://www.lorannoils.com/

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

I know it doesn't reconstitute, but would it work in a frosting?

S_Wirth
                    Participant

Prepared Pantry sells the Baker's Dry Milk and cheaper than KAF. They talk about the taste and more here:

https://www.preparedpantry.com/dairy-baking-ingredients.aspx/dry-milk.aspx

Scroll down a ways to read their product comments.

I don't think I'd waste expensive frosting ingredients trying it out to see if it would work.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 4 months ago by S_Wirth.
                      BakerAunt
                      Participant

Once milk is cooked, I don't think that it would go bad. It should be able to sit out, just as many baked goods do that have milk products cooked in them.

Thanks Swirth for the link to a less expensive source.

A person who bought one of the gingerbread houses yesterday told me that she plans to freeze it, and when younger grandchildren come for Christmas, she will take it out and let them decorate it.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 4 months ago by BakerAunt.
                        • This reply was modified 7 years, 4 months ago by BakerAunt.
                        rottiedogs
                        Participant

I found a thread for red velvet cake that has a cooked frosting recipe. The recipe calls for butter not shortening - see below. Swirth - is this your recipe just replacing butter with shortening? I couldn't find anything else in my stash that referred to cooked frosting.

3 Tbsp. flour
                          1 cup milk
                          1 tsp. vanilla
                          1 cup sugar
                          1 cup butter
                          Cook flour and milk until thick. Cream together the sugar and butter and add vanilla. Beat until fluffy. Then add the thick, cooled mixture.

BakerAunt
                          Participant

Rottiedogs: Here is the thread with Italiancook's cooked frosting:

I'm pretty sure that Sarah's must be somewhere on this site, but I don't have time to look for it now.

S_Wirth
                            Participant

No my recipe is not here. I never had it in my BC recipes, just in the Red Velvet Cake thread. It was such a nice long thread. RandyD started the thread and I always searched on Waldorf to pull up the thread.

I also had three or four, maybe more, Red Velvet Cake recipes in this thread that I had posted from local community/church recipe books.

I helped taratara with this frosting recipe as it filled the bill for something she wanted to make.

This thread was listed by me in a group of threads we needed to save...it was with my white cake thread with all the favorite white cake recipes on the BC that I put together. The favorite pumpkin recipes thread was in the group and also the zucchini bounty thread. I still have to get the zucchini thread moved here. I did not save this Red Velvet thread. I have the list of thread links for this group we needed to save on another computer in Word as well as BCers recipes we needed to save.

My frosting recipe told of beating the frosting for 8 minutes so the sugar would not be gritty. And I told about the Crisco making a much nicer and more fluffy frosting. The flavorings were also mentioned in that thread.

I think there was a muffins thread link in the group of links, also.

rottiedogs
                              Participant

Sarah - I dug deeper into the thread and found all your instructions flavorings etc. I need to clean it up but I WILL post it.

The part about being a good Twinkies filling is what started me looking. I am going to make homemade Twinkies for a work party but I've never been happy with any of the fillings I've come across. This frosting sounds like it will do the trick.

S_Wirth
                                Participant

Oh, how wonderful that you have it!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.