Eggs

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

I decided that this year I would buy at least some of my eggs from a vendor at the farmers market. The people from whom I buy pumpkins in the autumn have started selling eggs, so I chose them. At the moment, I use those eggs for omelets, frittatas, quiche and use the grocery store ones for baking. It seems to me that the farmers market eggs (chickens are free-range) have better taste and brighter yolks.

I have also noted that the shells appear to be thicker than the shells of the commercial eggs. With the latter, I have had problems with pieces of shell falling into what I am preparing to bake. With the farmers market eggs, the shells crack evenly.

With the farmers market eggs selling for $4 a dozen, I will probably still bake with the commercial eggs, but I wondered if anyone else has noticed a difference between farm eggs and commercial eggs.

Spread the word
      chocomouse
      Participant

Oh, yes, there is a huge difference between farm/home and commercial eggs. I love the eggs a friend often gifts me. I prefer to use them poached, or egg salad - some way I can appreciate the bright orange color. That orange does not show up well in a baked item! Of course, I do keep close tabs on the sizing -- home-grown range from mini to extra large within a one dozen container! Large eggs at the grocery were 2.55 last week! But I already had 3 dozen from my friend.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

$4 a dozen is pretty good for a farmer's market, they're more like $6 a dozen here. I'm almost tempted to buy duck eggs, they're around $8 a dozen and bigger.

Grocery store eggs are running about $3.50, but more like $2.10-$2.50 at Aldi, WalMart and Target.

BakerAunt
          Participant

My local grocery had eggs for $1.99. I bought a carton last week because I ran out of the farm eggs.

I agree that farm eggs vary more in size. This vendor sells small ones for $3 per dozen, but one or two in the large are also smaller.

I love the variety of colors--brown, light tan, tinge of green. My husband, whose grandparents had a chicken farm in Illinois, said, "I'd like to see the girls that laid these!"

In researching my family tree, I learned that one of my great-grandfathers raised award-winning chickens and sold eggs in a small town in Minnesota. However, I am content to leave the chicken keeping to others and appreciate the eggs.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

We had some chickens when I was young, I'm content buying them from others, too. Our next door neighbor's youngest son is interested in agriculture and is raising some chickens again this year. Last year he had both chickens and ducks. The fox might have gotten some, but I think their dogs got most of them, so this year they bought a coop that ought to keep both types of animals away from the chickens.

Joan Simpson
              Participant

I grew up with chickens too but never had any of our own.My friends and sister-in-law and yardman keeps me in fresh eggs . I agree thicker shell and the whites are so much bigger also.My SIL has some banty hens also so when I need a small egg I use those.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.