Did You Cook Anything Interesting the Week of October 23, 2016?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) Did You Cook Anything Interesting the Week of October 23, 2016?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

On Monday I made my adaptation of my Mom's hamburger stroganoff, which I serve over brown rice. I don't know if it qualifies as cooking, but I also have continued my quest to make a good salsa from canned tomatoes. I need to keep salt low, so I used no-salt added petite diced tomatoes, then added chopped onion and garlic. The problem has been finding good canned medium heat chili peppers. I found a jar of Hatch Valley Flame Roasted chilies that are medium heat. That let me save the leftovers for my next batch. This is very good indeed. (Now, if I can just keep my husband from eating up all the tortilla chips!) I also made turkey-vegetable-bean soup, using the mix of beans and barley that Bob's Red Mill produces as Vegi-Soup Mix. I seasoned it with Penzey's Bouquet Garni and dried chives, as well as adding a bit of tomato paste.

Spread the word
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

I made boeuf bourguignon with braised pearl onions and mushrooms on spaetzle, and a bigger batch of haystacks for my wife's office Halloween celebration. She's going as Mother Goose this year, so she's been busy making a goose doll.

Italiancook
        Participant

I made a large ham & potato Fritatta. I put one slice of it in the freezer to test if it can be frozen and microwaved and still be edible. It if is, I'll be making Fritattas for the freezer in the future.

I made a double batch of chili for the freezer. I know, it seems like I feed the freezer more than ourselves. I always freeze a lot in the fall & winter so I don't have to cook as much in the spring & summer. I think that's a carryover from my childhood growing up on an orchard. Spring and summer were busy times of the year where most of the cooking was my mother canning.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

The haystacks went over well, even though my wife said there were lots of desserts on the table. I sent in a big tin of them, probably about 60 of them, just one came back.

Her scones went over well, too, though for some reason most people seem to skip the lemon curd. (That means more left over for us, oh the horrors of it all!)

luvpyrpom
            Participant

I tried to make pasta carbonara, the first time I over cooked the eggs and the second time I got it right. Tried to bring the leftovers to work and it became the scrambled egg thing again. I wonder if pasta carbonara can be made as a baked casserole. Also made a chicken chow mein, braised beef shanks with daikon radish and carrots. Also made cranberry-pear chutney, added some orange juice to give it a bit of orange flavor. Couldn't taste it after it cooked so next time I may just substitute all of the water with orange juice.

cwcdesign
              Participant

Last week I went back on the South Beach Diet - my pants got a little too tight - always my sign to rein in my eating. It's not that I eat a lot (so I tell myself); it's just that I eat the wrong thing - whole grain Cheez-Its are still Cheez-its and half a box does not make a good dinner (well, yes it does, but not a healthy one).

Sunday, just before I decided to go whole hog on the diet, I made a batch of my vegetable barley soup which is always super low everything and delicious. I had that for lunch every day which was a big help. So I've been experimenting with healthier meals - last week I made a balsamic marinated chicken breast from the original book - the flavors were great, but the chicken was dry.
                I also made a batch of Tangy Salad - spring mix, apples, golden raisins,sunflower seeds, blue cheese and green onions - to take to a potluck at work.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.