Daily Quiz for October 1, 2019

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls Daily Quiz for October 1, 2019

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

What’s America’s favorite vegetables?

[See the full post at: Daily Quiz for October 1, 2019]

Spread the word
      Joan Simpson
      Participant

I sure missed it.

BakerAunt
        Participant

Wow, I never would have guessed--and I certainly did not get it correct.

Italiancook
          Participant

Add me to the list of people blown-away by this answer that I missed.

RiversideLen
            Participant

I got it wrong too. But if you think about it, 2 of the choices are actually fruit so I should have have narrowed it down.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

There is no botanical definition for a 'vegetable', it's more what they're used for than how they grow. Most of what we eat as vegetables are fruits (like a tomato), leaves (like lettuce), flower buds (like broccoli), stalks (like celery) or a type of root (like ginger or potato).

Tomatoes are legally defined as vegetables in the USA, but that's because of an 1893 Supreme Court ruling involving the taxation of imported vegetables.

skeptic7
                Participant

I missed that. I know that most people consider tomatoes, and squash as vegetables under the "eat your vegtables." category.

BakerAunt
                  Participant

I think that the correct answer is the most popular because a lot of people bury it under a mountain of cheese or in a cream soup....

Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

Well, after it's been boiled to death, not much else you can do with it. Lightly steamed, to the point where it is softening but still has a little firmness to it, is the way to go. My wife likes hers with lemon, I don't even salt it.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.