Daily Quiz for July 4, 2020

Home Forums Followups to Daily Quizzes Daily Quiz for July 4, 2020

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Henderson William Brand, an English chef in the early 1800’s, published a recipe for Brown Windsor Soup, which became a term that was often used to deride the poor quality of English food.

Brand also created one food item that survives to this day. What is it?

[See the full post at: Daily Quiz for July 4, 2020]

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

I missed it.

Joan Simpson
        Participant

Got it,I've read this before.

cwcdesign
          Participant

Wrong one

RiversideLen
            Participant

I think it used to have his name on it, "Brand's _________", anyway that's what I remember even if my memory is faulty, so I got it.

skeptic7
              Participant

I did whole wheat raisin bread with currants instead of raisins. I'm surprised at how different it is from the white flour raisin breads I did when whole wheat flour was unavailable. I had forgotten how harsh the whole wheat bread could taste, and the difference between cooking with raisins and currants. I should have added additional sugar to the bread, I had assumed that the currants would add more sweetness but they didn't. Possibly the raisins being bigger allowed more sugar to spread into the dough.
                I cooked it in a slow cooker on high for about 3 1/2 hours to 190 degrees. One of the nice thing about a whole wheat bread is that its always a good color. the white flour bread was unpleasantly pale when I cooked it in a slow cooker.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.