Daily Quiz for January 27, 2020

Home Forums Followups to Daily Quizzes Daily Quiz for January 27, 2020

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

True or false: American cheese isn’t really cheese.

[See the full post at: Daily Quiz for January 27, 2020]

Spread the word
      skeptic7
      Participant

I got this!

Joan Simpson
        Participant

I got this.

BakerAunt
          Participant

I got this.

aaronatthedoublef
            Participant

I was wrong. But doesn't it depend on the cheese? My daughter has developed a fondness for white American cheese and the kind I buy is actually made from whey and cheese curds. Still tastes a little plastic-y!

RiversideLen
              Participant

I'm not a big cheese eater and don't care for American cheese. In any application where American is used, I prefer mild cheddar. I agree with Aaron about the plastic quality of it.

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

We used to eat a lot of Velveeta years ago. I opened one package and it was a dark brown color. I contacted Kraft and they assured us it was OK and sent us some coupons.

But after we moved to Lincoln and I started grad school, I think our food preferences drifted away from using it.

As I understand it, anything called "American Cheese" is a processed cheese food and not pure cheese. (I did like the way Velveeta melted, though..)

aaronatthedoublef
                  Participant

Kenji Lopez-Alt says he doesn't trust anyone who doesn't like American cheese!

Also, when making quick mac and cheese or a quick cheese sauce American cheese or Velveeta or Cheez Whiz or something else (I use something called Pub Cheese) that has some starch in it helps emulsify the sauce.

Julia Child was great and from a different time. Her shows with Jacque Pepin were fantastic.

I do watch the kids competitions because my daughter loves them. It's interesting to go back and watch the earlier ones. Duff was much more involved and making sure things like mis-measuring butter didn't happen. Now he and Valerie stand off and the show is much colder. Last week a kid's pot of caramel caught on fire and they just stood there commenting on the big fire. The people with the camera kept filming and finally someone ran in and dropped a sheet pan on the pot but it took way too long for the adults to react.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.