Daily Quiz for February 8, 2020

Home Forums Followups to Daily Quizzes Daily Quiz for February 8, 2020

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

What country is Kjötsúpa (lamb soup) from?

[See the full post at: Daily Quiz for February 8, 2020]

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

I narrowed it to two and chose the incorrect answer.

That soup looks good, but my husband is not a fan of lamb, so I won't be experimenting with it.

That site looks interesting. I'm going to bookmark it and look at it more later.

Italiancook
        Participant

I made lamb soup a couple of weeks ago. It wasn't authentic, apparently, because I missed this. The soup was good, but too rich for how much I made. We had a hard time finishing it. If I ever make it again, I'll halve the recipe.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

I'm not likely to make this recipe either, because my wife won't eat lamb.

Finding lamb shoulder might be a challenge, too, though I suspect Fareway Meat might be able to get it if they don't have it on hand. They have a lot of things in the back that there isn't space for in the display cabinet, like several types of veal.

Joan Simpson
            Participant

Missed it,not a fan of lamb either.

RiversideLen
              Participant

I missed it too. I'm not big on lamb but I will eat it.

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

I think the only thing I've ever made with lamb was some gyros meat. The cafeterias at Northwestern served mutton every now and then, it was not a big hit with students and was usually referred to as mystery meat, along with some vaguely pork-like product.

S_Wirth
                  Participant

When I was in grade school, our schools got a lot of mutton as government commodities. Our cooks made barbecued mutton for sandwiches and I thought it was good. It was somewhat sweet, likely from the barbecue ingredients. My husband said he, too, had mutton for sandwiches at school and liked it very much.

Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

I don't remember any school lunches that used mutton, I know they had US Government surplus butter, cheese, flour and peanut butter.

chocomouse
                      Participant

When I was in college we had "mystery meat" every Thursday dinner. I recall we had been told at some point that it was lamb; so it probably was mutton. Back in those days, lamb was always (I think; I never saw pink lamb back then) cooked to an unappetizing gray-brown. My mother spoke of eating mutton as a child, but I think I never ate it. I love lamb, as long as it is rare; the typical seasonings used are different.

Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

Back in the 60's and 70's, nearly all meat, and a lot of poultry and fish, were often cooked to the point where they were nearly inedible. I remember when the guidelines were to cook turkey to at least 175 degrees.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 2 months ago by Mike Nolan.
                          skeptic7
                          Participant

I got that right, but it was a lucky accident. I like lamb but find it too expensive for anything other than an occasional treat.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.