Daily Quiz for April 2, 2019

Home Forums General Discussions Daily Quiz for April 2, 2019

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

How much does a cup of light corn syrup weigh?

[See the full post at: Daily Quiz for April 2, 2019]

Spread the word
      Joan Simpson
      Participant

I picked 10.....wrong.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

This question was inspired by the candy-making class I took last weekend.

One of the optional items to bring was a scale, though the only ingredient in any of the recipes specified by weight was chocolate. We did have to measure corn syrup for each of the recipes we made, and as we all know, that's a messy job.

I seem to recall having read that CIA students start out by memorizing a lengthy list of weight-to-measure equivalents of various ingredients. (Michael Ruhlman's book, perhaps?)

Anyway, there will probably be future quizzes that deal with weight-to-measure equivalents for ingredients we all use frequently.

BakerAunt
          Participant

Just like Joan, I guessed 10 oz. I have been using weights more often but usually grams rather than ounces. The rye rolls I baked on Sunday were done by grams. For the apple butter I baked with on Sunday, I used weight rather than clean out the measuring cup. It also eliminates what sticks to the measuring cup.

Italiancook
            Participant

I also guessed 10. My first thought was correct, but I decided to go with 10. I even debated with myself the high school teaching to go with your first guess when taking a quiz and you aren't sure of the correct answer. I threw that teacher's advice out the window even though it had served me well in college. I've never baked with corn syrup, but even if I had, I probably still would have clicked on 10.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

Most of the heavy syrups (molasses, glucose, honey, barley syrup, corn syrup) have similar weights per cup. Maple syrup tends to be a little lighter because it generally is not quite as dense a syrup, it depends on how much it's been boiled down.

There's also some variability to honey, but it is generally somewhat denser than maple syrup. Interestingly enough, while many sugar solutions, including maple syrup, are measured using the 'brix' scale, where the higher the number the more sugar is present, honey is measured in terms of the percentage of water in it, so the lower the number the higher the percentage of sugar.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.