Cranberry Banana Nut Bread

Home Forums General Discussions Cranberry Banana Nut Bread

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Italiancook
    Participant

Since I arose early this morning, I made my mom's Cranberry Banana Nut Bread. As previously mentioned, I used William-Sonoma's Cranberry Relish which also has apple & orange. Raw, it tasted more like orange to me, but looks like cranberry.

The batter was soupier than most sweet breads. It's in the oven now and seems to be rising fine. I didn't have the size loaf pan the recipe called for. Mine is smaller. So I'm holding my breath hoping this doesn't spill over into the oven. I'm thinking that I'm going to have to bake it longer than the recipe states in order for it to cook in the center, but time will tell.

The recipe says to wrap the bread in plastic or foil for 1 day before cutting for best flavor. As I recall, my mom did that. But in the interest of experimentation, I'm going to cut a slice today and wrap the rest for tomorrow. I'll let you know how it turned out. What I'm guessing is that with apple in the relish I used, it won't taste like Mom's. I'm expecting it to be sweeter.

Because the batter turned out fine, I don't think there's anything missing from the recipe. Yes, I tasted the batter in spite of the flour recall, but I did it with a lot of trepidation.

I'm going to post it in the recipe section, assuming I can figure out how to do that.

Finally, wow! the house smells good from the bread baking!

Spread the word
      Italiancook
      Participant

Bread is out of the oven. The loaf smells exactly like my memory of it.

The loaf came out of oven with a rounded top. During cooling, the top went down. Now, it's a flat-topped loaf, and that's exactly the way all my mother's loaves of this bread looked. So I'm calling it normal and will add a note to the recipe about this.

I'll report back tomorrow after I eat a slice of the wrapped, 1 day old bread.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.