Cookie wars

Home Forums Baking — Desserts Cookie wars

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster
      BakerAunt
      Participant

Thanks for posting the link, Mike. The story does not contain enough information or pictures for readers to judge the merits of the case, but if the recipes were stolen, that would be infringement.

It sounds like cookie businesses are the new cupcake business. Remember all those cupcakes with high swirls of frosting--so high that they were difficult to eat?

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

First it was donuts, then cupcakes, now cookies. There are at least a half-dozen stores in Lincoln that specialize in cookies, one of them specializes in delivering warm cookies. We recently went to a charity fundraiser where they delivered warm cookies for dessert, they were great!

Several of the cupcake places have closed. We still have a number of donut shops, though I'm almost tempted not to count Dunkin among them these days, heaven knows where those donuts are made!

Will bread ever have a bakery renaissance?

BakerAunt
          Participant

When I lived in Texas, there was a cupcake place that used batter left over from their upscale cakes. They would put out a Yes flag when they had cupcakes available and a No flag when they sold out. The flavors would change based on the cakes. I once bought a box of four as a treat for the family. The cupcakes had the lovely density of sturdy cakes, and yes, frosting swirled up over an inch. They also did mini cupcakes.

I looked at the Washington Post's Christmas Cookie feature this past Sunday. As expected, nine of the ten require lots of butter, although these were not cookies that I would have baked even when I was eating lots of butter. There was, however, a recipe for jam thumbprint cookies that used almond flour and no butter that I might try.

I'm a traditionalist when it comes to Christmas cookies, so I miss the sugar cookies and the shortbread particularly this time of year. I will still bake a half recipe of the Pfeffernusse, since those cookies use just half the butter of most cookie recipes.

My new Christmas cookies are the Spiced Rye Ginger Cookies from King Arthur, as well as the cranberry-pistachio biscotti I discovered last year. I'm hoping the German Cinnamon Stars I baked yesterday will earn a place in the rotation. That dough might work for other simple shapes as well.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.