Coffee Cake

Home Forums Recipes Coffee Cake

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Joan Simpson
    Participant

Coffee Cake
      1/2- cup butter softened
      1-cup sugar
      2 eggs
      1 & 1/2 -cups sour cream
      1-tsp.vanilla
      2-cups flour
      2-tsp.baking powder
      1-tsp.baking soda
      1/2-tsp. salt

Topping
      1/2 cup brown sugar
      2-Tbsp. cinnamon
      2/3-cup chopped pecans chopped fine
      2 -Tbsp. butter
      Mix topping together and set aside

1. Cream butter, sugar and eggs
      2.Whisk sour cream and vanilla together and add to creamed mixture.
      3.Combine flour ,baking powder, baking soda and salt. Mix well and stir in creamed mixture.
      4.Spoon 1/2 batter into greased and floured bundt or tube pan. Sprinkle 1/2 topping. Spoon rest of batter and sprinkle remaining topping.
      5.Bake at 350*45-50 minutes until toothpick comes out clean. I let it cool 10 minutes before turning out.

I added 1 cup powder sugar and a Tbsp. or 2 of milk to make a drizzle after it was cool.

Spread the word
      kimbob
      Participant

Joan, made your coffee cake this morning. The house smells wonderful. When it cools down I'm having a piece!

Attachments:
        You must be logged in to view attached files.
        Joan Simpson
        Participant

Looks wonderful!

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

My wife's grandmother had a 'Christmas Coffee Cake' recipe that we tried to make several times and it never came out right (or at least matching my wife's recollection of what it tasted and looked like.)

It called for 'sour cream', and I've always suspected that given the age of the recipe it was really using heavy cream that had gone sour rather than the cultured stuff you get at the grocery store these days.

I've wondered about using creme fraiche to make it, as I think it is a lot closer to traditional 'sour cream'. These days I tend to keep heavy cream on hand for keto cooking and baking, I could also try letting a cup of it sit on the counter to go sour.

I'll see if I can find the recipe (it's in the Nebraska Centennial Cookbook, which my wife's mother edited) and post it.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.