Challah Artistry

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls Challah Artistry

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

This Instagram link comes from today's BBGA newsletter, thanks Mitch!

The Challah Prince

The artistry on display here is incredible. The Halloween Challah video is about 3 minutes long and I wish it was twice as long!

Spread the word
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

Interestingly enough, his Challah dough recipe, which you can get if you subscribe to his site, doesn't have any egg in it, though he does use an egg yolk wash. It does have sugar and sunflower oil in it.

One of the items on his Instagram page is a braided loaf that looks like it must be made from a dozen or more strands. (He doesn't say how many, though he does ask for guesses, so maybe he'll post the right answer some time.)

Joan Simpson
        Participant

I watched a few of his videos,very pretty.

aaronatthedoublef
          Participant

This is amazing. But if it doesn't have egg is it challah? That's more a philosophy question I guess.

Does it use some egg substitute?

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

No eggs in his dough recipe, but it does have sunflower oil and he uses an egg yolk wash.

There are some vegan challah recipes out there, and one site claims it is OK to use either egg or olive oil, so I guess it is possible to make challah without egg.

I may have to make a small batch of his dough just to see how it feels and what it tastes like. I usually use the challah recipe in BBA, and it is pretty eggy. One thing I've noticed when trying to braid it is that the strands will start to puff up again right after they're rolled out, so by the time you have 8 of them done you've got to de-gas them all.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.