Barley Flour

Home Forums Sources Barley Flour

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

I recently ordered some items from Bob's Red Mill. One item I intended to order was barley flour, but their online catalog said it had been discontinued. I checked for fine grind cornmeal, and it also has been discontinued. I emailed the company, and here is part of the response:

"The sustained spike in customer demand for our wholesome products during this challenging time has prompted the Mill to reflect on our product assortment. As a result, it was decided unfortunately to discontinue the Barley Flour and the Fine Grind Cornmeal."

"In order to improve production efficiencies for our core items, and to make room for some exciting new products that we will be introducing soon, a number of low-selling items are being discontinued. There were multiple factors involved in making this decision, including packaging restrictions, production and labor, sales and sourcing issues."

Now I'm wondering what other products they may be on the road to discontinuing. Other products have been cut over the past few years: non-bleached cake flour; ivory flour (white whole wheat that I preferred over King Arthur's), dried cherries, etc. While I can probably figure out a workaround for the cornmeal, even if it means grinding their medium cornmeal finer--or stocking up next time we can visit Spring Mill--I'm not sure where to find barley flour. I looked at some places that sell malted barley flour, but I do not think that is the same.

Suggestions?

Spread the word
      cwcdesign
      Participant

I found this - it says you can make barley flour at home from pearlized barley, but you do need aa grain grinder
        https://www.usaemergencysupply.com/information-center/all-about/all-about-whole-grains/all-about-barley

S_Wirth
        Participant

walmart.com has barley flour in different sizes.

BakerAunt
          Participant

Thank you, CWCdesigh and S. Wirth. The Walmart.com order looks promising. I had wondered about grinding pearl barley in my food processor, but it looks like it would have to be a grain grinder, which I do not have and would rather not buy.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

I have ordered several things from walmart.com, including a 24 pound tub of wheat berries, sometimes they're better priced than Amazon, sometimes they're not. I see several sellers of barley flour on Amazon as well. I haven't tried ordering from them since the walmart plus plan (or whatever it is called) started, I don't know if that affects anything, like shipping costs.

Natural Grocers appears to have barley flour at a pretty good price, but there isn't one in Indiana.

BakerAunt
              Participant

I ordered a 6 lb. bag of barley flour at Walmart.com on Friday afternoon. To my surprise it arrived Sunday afternoon by FedEx.

The company is Food to Live, which is located in New York. The shipping was free, and the price about what I would have paid for the Bob's Red Mill. Although the description said stone ground, that is not on the package, but it looks the same. I'll stash it in the second refrigerator for now, as I still have some of the Bob's Red Mill barley flour to finish.

I'll check out the company's website FoodToLive.com to see what else they carry.

Thanks for the lead, S. Wirth!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.