Bake Brownies Twice!?!

Home Forums Baking — Desserts Bake Brownies Twice!?!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    cwcdesign
    Participant

According to this article https://www.southernliving.com/alton-brown-brownie-trick-7090594?hid=1bb0aa16477ec709d6bff99395a25b60c25ffe4a&did=8017060-20230129&utm_source=slv&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=sl-whats-cooking_newsletter&utm_content=012923&lctg=1bb0aa16477ec709d6bff99395a25b60c25ffe4a
      Alton Brown strikes again with a suggestion that to get gooey brownies, you should back them twice. Total time from putting the brownies in the oven 1 hour and 40 minutes before you can think about eating them.

I'll stick to KAF Fudgey Brownies, thank you.

Spread the word
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

Brownie biscotti?

aaronatthedoublef
        Participant

Just saw this... I still kinda sorta like Alton. My wife took me to his stage show many years ago and it was pretty entertaining. But he says some things that don't make sense, are overly complicated, or outright wrong.

He has breathed new life into Good Eats by going back and correcting a bunch of these things.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

He didn't start out that way, but Alton got a bit too preachy for me, as if he could say nothing wrong. Kind of reminds me of Chris Kimball. The ONLY way to do it is HIS way.

Alton brought his show to Lincoln a few weeks ago, it was one of the highest priced tickets of the year at the Lied Center, in the same price range as tickets to cellist Yo Yo Ma and the musical Hamilton. We didn't go to Alton. We went to Yo Yo Ma a few years ago. Hamilton is part of our Broadway package for this season, but it doesn't play here until August.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

I've been thinking about making the Katherine Hepburn brownies, they're almost flourless. (My guess is you could make them with gluten-free flour and nobody'd notice a difference.)

cwcdesign
              Participant

Mike, I used to make Katherine Hepburn brownies until I discovered the KAF brownies which we like much better.

The one Alton Brown recipe we use a lot is his baked brown rice - sometimes we throw a bunch of odds and ends rice together and that works too

I agree with you about both Alton and Chris Kimball. I stopped watching ATK because of Kimball. I know he's gone but I don't get PBS on my streaming services

aaronatthedoublef
                Participant

I've never heard of Katherine Hepburn brownies before but from Mike's description they sound like what I make. A lot of melted chocolate and butter, a bunch of eggs, and a little flour. Lately I've started to add in a little coffee and cream some of the butter instead of melting it all. It started as a recipe from a Boston baking legend, Rosie's and then I modified it over the years.

After my mom died we were going through her recipes and mine was almost exactly the same as the one she learned from her aunt which my mom called "fudge pie". Since it came from Auntie - Mom's great aunt from Louisville, the recipe has to be close to 150 years old at this point. Classics are classics.

Alton changed somewhere between the first and second seasons of "Feasting on Asphalt". In the second season he was much more arrogant and would do things to humiliate people on his crew because he could (he said that). I don't know about the ticket price because they were a gift but watching him bake a giant pizza using an oven made with massive klieg lights was worth the price of admission.

Guy Fieri is another one. He purports to be a champion of the small mom&pop restaurants and then started opening up ghost kitchens here at the start of the pandemic. So just when local small shops really needed our business he used his big name to compete with them.

BakerAunt
                  Participant

Now I want brownies--the King Arthur deep dark ones that use oil rather than butter--maybe with Valentine's Day sprinkles?

I do miss my favorite butter brownie recipe. They also used not that much flour and were so fudgy.

Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

There have been some stories on what restaurants have to go through to get on Fieri's show. Some of his demands make rock star demands look reasonable. And to be honest, I haven't seen many places he's featured that I'd be willing to eat at. I don't really need a 3 pound burger--nobody does!

A local cupcake place was on Cupcake Wars, she wouldn't talk much about it, but she got eliminated in the first round. (The store has since closed, I think the cupcake craze is over.)

I think that was the show where they gave them tobacco as an ingredient. UGH!!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.