Bake-a-Bowl pan?

Home Forums General Discussions Bake-a-Bowl pan?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Has anybody ever seen or used a Bake-a-Bowl pan?

I was looking at corn recipes on the Iowa Corn Board site, and there was a recipe for something in an edible cornbread bowl. The recipe says you need a Bake-A-Bowl pan to make them.

I looked them up on amazon: Bake-A-Bowl pan.

Spread the word
      RiversideLen
      Participant

Mike, that link took me to the Iowa corn site.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

Fixed now, it should take you to amazon.

RiversideLen
          Participant

I looked it up while you were fixing the link. It looks good but I am wondering what I would do with it, would I give it enough use to justify the space it takes. I'm thinking corn bread tacos might work.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

Yeah, I have that issue every time I find a new pan or gadget. I really want a 5 pound loaf pan and a good (deep but not huge) lasagna pan, but how often would I use them and where would I store them?

Italiancook
              Participant

I have a somewhat recent philosophy on buying for the kitchen. Can't buy it unless I'm getting rid of something. KitchenKrafts had a 2" deep half sheet pan with lid that I really wanted. I had to give away something to make a space for it. By then, I couldn't find it on KitchenKrafts website, so I bought it at Amazon. Now that it's in my kitchen, I have no idea what I'll do with it!

skeptic7
                Participant

That looks cute but would you use it often enough? I've been thinking about making a bread bowl by using a stiff pizza dough, rolling it out and draping it over the back of tiny pizza pan, or large muffin cups. That would not work for cornmeal as its a batter bread.
                  I used to think bread bowls were the bomb and would get them when available. But I talked to a friend who worked at a food stand on the beach, and she said that people would order clam chowder in a bread bowl and then throw the bowl away. That sort of soured me on the idea.

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

I tried making bread bowls once by shaping the dough over the bottom of a bowl and baking it like that. Some I covered with a second bowl, others I didn't. The ones that had a second bowl as a cover were a bit thinner. The challenge is to figure out when the bread is done.

You might be able to make bowls using cornbread batter by putting some in a custard cup and putting a second custard cup on top. It sort of depends on how thick the batter is. Most of the time these days we make the GF cornbread recipe that I have posted here, it's thicker than the traditional ones that use wheat flour.

RiversideLen
                    Participant

Italiancook, that sounds perfect for a (half)sheet cake.

Was that the Nordic Ware Pan? I looked it up on Amazon and I had to have it! It arrives Wednesday. Don't ask what I will use it for, I don't know yet. But it can sit underneath my other Nordic Ware half sheet pans, so space wasn't a consideration.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 9 months ago by RiversideLen.
                      Italiancook
                      Participant

RiversideLen, it is the Nordic Ware Pan! KitchenKrafts showed it filled with cinnamon rolls. KAF has a Tangzhon (spelling?) Cinnamon Rolls recipe that I think makes 24. I thought I could use my new pan for those, after I figure out who's up early enough in the morning to give them away. I tried to post the link here, but the KAF recipe search area is not working right now.

The lid is plastic, so I'm afraid to put my 3 sheet pans and 3 wire cooling racks on top of it. If you do, please let me know if the lid didn't crack, IF you think of it. Regardless, it's a lovely pan. I bought it for roasting a chicken. Now that it's here, I'm thinking it may be too large for a 3-1/2 pound chicken, but I'm going to try that once and see what happens to the chicken. It's the perfect size for a V-rack to place the chicken on, but I bought the pan to avoid digging out and washing the V-rack to use it.

BakerAunt
                        Participant

Thank heavens for pans that stack--so says the woman trying to work out which pans get to stay in the house kitchen, and which will be stored in the apt. kitchen over the garage--with it's large wire shelving (great) and it's rather small cabinets (not so great).

Italian Cook. I have one pan that I store the lid upside down under the pan. It's a heavy plastic. That pan is a 13x9-inch, and I think it is one of those "air bake" ones that were all the rage years ago, but which I found did not work that well. I still have it, however, because when I make my caramels recipe, it's the perfect size. Of course, I am not likely to be making caramels anymore, unless I decide it is worth my while to try selling them.

Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

When we were in Pittsburgh this summer, I made my usual stop at the Strip District and bought a half-sheet pan that has a snap-on 'universal' lid. The lid stacks decently under the pan in the pantry, which is a good thing because it is still so stiff that I almost couldn't get it off. But the sheet pan itself is only 1" high, so I may order a 2" deep half-sheet pan online.

For my lasagna yesterday I wound up using three 8 x 10 disposable aluminum pans, because I was planning to freeze one unbaked and another was going to Omaha today, but they were only about 2 1/2 inches tall and good lasagna needs a 3 inch or taller pan. So I'm still thinking I need either a lasagna pan or a 5 pound loaf pan (which is 4 inches high.) I was checking Amazon for the Vollrath 5 pound loaf pan, but it isn't part of the Amazon Prime plan, so shipping would increase the cost by about 50%. I may have to check the local kitchen supply store, which is on the far north end of town. (We're on the south end, and the main street north is currently closed for railroad track repairs, so maybe next week.)

RiversideLen
                            Participant

The lids can either be stored upside down under the pan or you can stack all the pans and then stack all the lids on top of them. I have racks that fit perfectly in the Nordic Ware pans cooling/roasting rack so I'm thinking the 2 inch tall pan with a roasting rack will be perfect for roasting a spatchcock chicken.

I also have a USA lasagna pan that I mainly use inverted over my KAF hamburger bun pan as a proofing box when I make my sandwich buns. I'm sure it would be great for lasagna too and someday I might use it for that. I've also used it to roast a chicken.

RiversideLen
                              Participant

My 2" deep Nordic Ware half sheet pan arrived today. As expected, my 1" pans nest on top of it like a glove and the plastic cover is the same as the plastic covers on my other pans so they nest together very nicely too.

Mike Nolan
                                Keymaster

Len, who'd you order it from?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.