? 4 Aaron & Others

Home Forums General Discussions ? 4 Aaron & Others

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Italiancook
    Participant

Aaron, you mentioned last week that you're involved in making baskets to take to people who are homebound. If you don't mind, what do you put in the baskets?

Once a month for a year, I'm taking meals to a person who is shut-in. Because I no longer take fresh-made hot meals to people, I prepare the food then freeze it. So far, I've taken soups and chili with supplemental food that goes with them, such as dinner rolls (frozen). I have a problem. I'm running out of ideas for food that freezes good. Next month, I'm going to take meatloaf, because I know it is a good freezer. So I'm wondering what you put in the baskets. Looking for ideas.

Anyone else have ideas of food that'd freeze good?

Spread the word
      KIDPIZZA
      Participant

Aaron, you mentioned last week that you’re involved in making baskets to take to people who are homebound. If you don’t mind, what do you put in the baskets?

Once a month for a year, I’m taking meals to a person who is shut-in. Because I no longer take fresh-made hot meals to people, I prepare the food then freeze it. So far, I’ve taken soups and chili with supplemental food that goes with them, such as dinner rolls (frozen). I have a problem. I’m running out of ideas for food that freezes good. Next month, I’m going to take meatloaf, because I know it is a good freezer. So I’m wondering what you put in the baskets. Looking for ideas.

ITALIAN COOK:
        Good afternoon. I am happy that you are a person who thinks & helps others who need a "HELPING HAND" once in a while like ourselves from to time.

Here a few of my thoughts for you to consider. Either you buy a cooked chicken from your community supermarket or cook a broilier chicken just cup~up the white meat into chunks but no more than say 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick. Make chicken tenders by coating with a well seasoned crust. A good crust is one coated with mayo first then dipped in seasaoned bread crumbs with panko style crumbs as well you a can bake this atricle
        ......................................OR..........................................

You can make crab cakes. you can employ imitation style crab meat...it taste ok...I make crab salad every now & then with it. I use the real stuff when it is on sale though.
        I can further discuss crab cakes with you if you wish.

Furthermore my dear friend, you can bread an inexpensive fish like Tilipia the same way & freeze it.
        Another thought is in a deep type dish a plate of macaroni with sauce mixed in then a lite layer of chopped meat on top & then sauce again & do a second layer on top scramble some grated cheese & dried herbs on each layer top. Freeze ..this CARE package will provide about 3 maybe 4 servings to the recipient just by scooping a portion out & heating it in a micro~wave oven...I do this every now & then for my self.

I think I am finished for now. Enjoy the day.

~CASS / KIDPIZZZA.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

I make individual sized chicken pot pies in a cupcake pan, topped with a little puff pastry, then I freeze them, take them out of the pans and put them in plastic bags. Pop one in the microwave for a few minutes and it's nice and warm.

Before my wife's mother died, we'd package up chili in individual servings for her. She always called it 'tomato soup' because it was heavy on tomatoes.

aaronatthedoublef
          Participant

Like Mike, chicken pot pies are good. Also we make enchiladas and wrap them individually. Lasagna pre-cut into individual portions and frozen is good too.

Italiancook
            Participant

KIDPIZZA, thanks for your suggestions. I will try two of them, but not the crab cakes. I don't know where to buy imitation crab or even the real thing.

Mike, I would never have thought of making individual pot pies. I've never worked with puff pastry. Do you have to vent it like a top pie crust?

I don't like mole, so I'll not make enchiladas, Aaron, but lasagna is a good idea.

Thanks to all of you.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

A cupcake-sized pot pie is small enough that I don't bother to cut vents in it.

aaronatthedoublef
                Participant

We don't make or use mole. I'm not a fan of it either. We actually cheat and use Frontera Grill enchilada sauce. But no reason you have to use that. You can put whatever you want on top of them. Any kind of Mexican style sauce would work or even barbeque sauce.

I make carnitas for my kids and they liked it but they like it much better when I mix barbeque sauce with the carnitas sauce. Come to thing of it, that freezes well and you could give some tortillas and cheese with it and they can put them together when they want to. I usually make about three pounds of carnitas and divide it into one pound bags putting two in the freezer.

Italiancook
                  Participant

Aaron, my mother-in-law was an excellent cook of Mexican food. She always made her enchiladas with mole, and I wouldn't eat them. I never thought of making them with something else. I'm going to call around and see if anyone sells the Frontier Grill product. Thanks for the idea.

Carnitas is a good idea, too. I like them, but had never thought of freezing them.

cwcdesign
                    Participant

Italiancook, I can get Frontera Grill products at my supermarket in with the rest of the Mexican style brands

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.