2024 Gardening

Home Forums Gardening 2024 Gardening

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 69 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

It is not really gardening, but the wild blackberries are ripening in our woods. I picked two one-quart baskets and was on my way to filling a third, when a thunderstorm came in, so we had to leave.

We have tomatoes on most of the plants, although I think the Early Girl is not doing so well. The potato plants are rather high and flowering. The green beans have started to produce. The honey nut squash is beginning to flower. The fairy tale pumpkin plants in the grow bag have giant leaves and may be getting ready to flower. We have had a lot of wind, and it keeps blowing the vines in the direction we do not want them to go.

Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

We've gotten a few tomatoes, all fairly small (around the size of a golf ball), unless I had a labeling mixup those were ones sold as First Lady II, which are usually more in the 4-5 ounce range. (As I noted in another recent post, I'm not impressed with this batch of First Lady seeds.)

The temperature has been warm and that may be affecting how the vines grow. Usually the tomato season doesn't begin in earnest until August, but none of the plants are at the top of the cage yet and that seems a bit behind schedule.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

My larger tomato varieties aren't doing much yet, though I've got a bunch of Italian Heirloom that are good sized but probably 2 weeks away from starting to ripen, they're a slow variety. Those plants didn't get very big or leafy, so I'm worried about sun scald.

I don't think the seeds that were sold as First Lady II are that variety, not the first time I've had issues with getting those seeds. Time to look for a different variety, maybe Defiant, which is supposed to have a good yield of 6-8 ounce tomatoes for a deteminant variety, and I know they're flavorful. (Diane got 100 pounds of them from a UNL test garden a few years ago, the grad student running that test plot was picking 1000 pounds of them a day for several weeks, but she had two 160 foot rows of them.)

But I did pick 25 ounces of 4th of July and Porter tomatoes today, the Porters are a bit larger than grape tomatoes, usually around .75 ounces each, the 4th of July ones are usually 1.5-1.75 ounces.

Too early to tell if we'll get a bumper crop in late August and September, which is when the peak has been in recent years. It's been really hot and I need some cool mornings for fruit to set. Usually there's a cool spell in mid-August, but the long range forecast doesn't show one yet.

I'm hoping to get enough tomatoes to make several batches of tomato sauce and relish, hopefully with Amish Paste tomatoes, I've still got tomato juice left over from last season, so that's a lower priority this year.

The Italian Heirloom tomatoes make great tomatoes for stuffing them with tuna salad.

BakerAunt
          Participant

My husband harvested our first cherry tomatoes today--or rather, they came off in his hand. They are not yet ripe but will finish ripening on the porch. We have a lot of green tomatoes, so at some point we should have a good amount for cooking and making sauce for the freezer.

So far, we only have one honey nut squash. The plants are much slower than last year,

chocomouse
            Participant

My latest planting on the deck of green beans looks more like pole beans than bush beans -they are (before the series of thunder storms and downpour we got this afternoon) about 6 feet tall! It doesn't really matter, as long as they produce beans to eat. Our cucumber in the hanging pot are done - my husband forgot to water them when I was in Maine last week. Plenty of green tomatoes on the plants in our in-ground garden, but not sign of red. No broccoli, cabbage, one small cauliflower. No peppers. Plenty of spaghetti squash, a few delicata and butternut. No zucchini, no summer squash. A few peppers, not ripe yet. It's a terrible growing season again this year. Temps 95-96 the first month after planting; no rain, although I did water. The berries are wonderful -- I think I've picked about 10 quarts of blueberries so far, many more to pick; and my husband is picking 3-4 quarts of blackberries every other day now. I was in Maine most of last week/weekend, so no picking, watering, weeding, or trimming then. I may have to buy a 4th freezer just for all the berries.

BakerAunt
              Participant

I envy your 3 freezers, Chocomouse. I'm trying to figure out how to add a small chest freezer to complement our two refrigerators with freezers. That said, your priorities are straight: a fourth freezer for berries!

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

We had a refrigerator in the basement fail earlier this year. Nothing of consequence was lost, fortunately.

When I went to Lowes to replace it, I found one that can switch between refrigerator and freezer mode. That made it easy for me to handle defrosting two freezers that were in serious need of being defrosted. Currently it's in refrigerator mode, but not very full.

A year ago my son gave me several Govee temperature/humidity sensors for Christmas. Since then I've added more of them, we now have sensors in the refrigerators and freezers as well as several room around the house. (They will alert me if the temperature goes above or below a defined range for that sensor.) Two weeks ago I added some outdoor sensors on the back patio and front porch. It is interesting to watch the temperature variances around the house throughout the day, inside and out.

RiversideLen
                  Participant

During the pandemic when freezers were hard to find, I decided I needed a second one (I have a small freezer in the basement, about 5 cubic feet). I found one online at a large local store so I ordered it even though it was currently out of stock. I think it was 3.5 cubic feet. I kept getting notices from the store that it was still out of stock, they weren't sure when it would be available so do I still want it? I looked at their inventory and found a 5 cubic feet model, so I made the substitution. Now the question was, where to put it. I didn't have room in the basement without moving a lot of stuff around but figured out it would fit in a corner in the dining room, so that's where it went. To make it blend in, I put a table cloth on top, making it practically unnoticeable (that's what I tell myself). Anyway, I'm glad I got it, also glad that I opted for the slightly larger one. What I have learned is that it's hard to have too much freezer space!

I have a peach tree, I got it from my neighbor's father-in-law, he would grow the trees from peach pits. My neighbor got one too. Every year we would both have small peaches (the wildlife got much of mine). The past couple of years, though, the peaches got to normal size. Last year my neighbor's tree feel down. This year my tree didn't make a single blossom, so no peaches. I think it's because my neighbor no longer has a tree, so my tree has no other tree to have relations with.

Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

Most of the sites on growing fruit trees say that peach trees are self-pollinating but will produce more fruit if there is another peach tree nearby. Weather and other factors can lead to non-bearing years, though.

To make things even more confusing, while some fruit trees are self-unfruitful or have sterile pollen, meaning they need another tree to produce any fruit at all, for some self-unfruitful trees it has to be the same variety (genetically speaking) while for others it needs to be a different variety.

BakerAunt
                      Participant

Sometimes, it depends on if a freeze hits at the wrong time, or if it is a very hard freeze. About five years ago, orchards in Michigan lost peach trees to the polar vortex. In my area, there were some years that a honey vendor's trees had peaches, and I was always a willing customer for her organic "ugly" peaches, but she did not have the fruit every year. She has not been to the market since the summer of 2019.

I miss making peach jam.

That's a neat story about how you got your peach tree, Len. My grandmother's house had a pear tree, and I vaguely recall my grandmother saying that my grandfather had planted it. When researching family at newspapers.com, I found a story about his bringing back cuttings from Arkansas. That story pointed to the tree's origins. It was struck by lightning and died around the time my grandmother passed away.

Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

The heat wave we've had for the last several weeks broke Monday evening, the high on Monday was around 104, but it was in the low 60's by7 AM and the high on Tuesday was in the high 70's. I don't see a lot of 90-degree days in the long range guesses, either.

So it looks like my tomato plants will be setting fruit for a late August/September tomato bounty.

chocomouse
                          Participant

Today we picked our first tomato from our in-ground garden. Actually, it was the first produce of any sort from the garden. This season is almost as bad as last year, with the extremes of heat and rain/drought. We have been harvesting lots of lettuce, spinach, other greens, snap peas, beets, beans, cukes, cherry tomatoes from planters/pots on the deck.

Mike Nolan
                            Keymaster

I put in 6 spaghetti squash plants and am starting to see fruit, but I probably won't have to harvest for another month. The plants love to climb so I put them to the west of the west-most tomato cages.

Diane is usually so-so on spaghetti squash, but when I told her to look up the keto numbers on it, she seemed a little more interested.

The spaghetti squash lasagna sounds interesting, I like making lasagna with spinach, ricotta, ground beef and mushrooms, just have to figure out how big a pan to use for one spaghetti squash.

BakerAunt
                              Participant

Mike--I posted the recipe. It is open to adaptation--like omitting garlic!

BakerAunt
                                Participant

It is not a good season for squash. We just had a second honey nut squash develop. In the past we would have had at least six or seven growing to good sizes by now.

The fairy tale pumpkin has lots of leaves, and it has a lot of male flowers. One female flower started to develop but then did not make it. My husband says that there is another female flower. If it does develop, he plans to hand pollinate it. The question is whether if a pumpkin does result, will it ripen before whenever the first freeze comes. Last year, that hard freeze came late, but the weather has been so odd the past couple of years, there is no way to predict.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 69 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.