2022 Hummingbird Migration Underway (and other birds)

Home Forums General Discussions 2022 Hummingbird Migration Underway (and other birds)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

The Hummingbird Project says the hummers are on their way south already. A friend of ours who is staying with us while she apartment hunts says she saw two hummers at the same time the other day, I have only been seeing one at a time.

I put up several additional feeders today, one of them saw its first hummer within a few minutes of when I hung it.

This seems to be a peak year for goldfinches, we see multiple goldfinches fighting for space at a feeder regularly all day. Some of them have discovered the pot of gazania on the table and are relishing the seeds it produces. The orioles seem to have disappeared, though my wife's sister, who lives a few miles north of us, still sees them all the time.

The Merlin app said there was a red hawk sitting in a nearby tree this morning, making a pretty loud squawk.

Spread the word
      chocomouse
      Participant

I think all of our hummers left last week. Lots of goldfinches here too. Only a few orioles, earlier this summer, when they ate tons of our oranges and grape jelly, and then suddenly stopped showing up. Our bluebird pair raised two families, but have been gone a month or so. Since we don't feed the birds much at all from April-Dec, when the bears are out and about, we don't have as many birds as we used to. But bears have become a huge problem in VT/NH, and we're told to bring in the feeders. Several have opened doors and entered homes, and one lady called Fish and Game for help while locked in her bathroom!

Joan Simpson
        Participant

We still have a lot of Humming birds but they have slowed a little.We have three feeders hanging under a big cedar out front and we can see about 10 or 12 anytime we go out.They'll go all up in the tree then dart across the road to the woods.We watched 3 red headed wood peckers today they are so pretty.

Chocomouse I'd go nuts about them bears, especially if one got in the house,yikes!

BakerAunt
          Participant

We have not seen hummingbirds this year, until my husband saw one yeasterday. They usually like our flowers, and our neighbor has a large hanging flower basket to attract them. Perhaps we should put out a feeder.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

You're in the central US migration flight path in Indiana, the migration just recently started there. We're in the western portion of the US (eg, east of the Rockies) migration flight path, it is just starting here, too. We've been seeing one or two hummingbirds all summer, though, so I think we had one nesting nearby, we've been seeing her two or three times a day. There's a known ruby throat hummingbird nesting area near Columbus NE, so they do sometimes nest in Nebraska.

chocomouse
              Participant

Joan, the bears concern me only when I am out picking blueberries -- which they love. It's the bobcat(s) that I am terrified of meeting!

cwcdesign
                Participant

We had our hummingbirds in the spring and then I hadn’t seen them in a while - I had bought a new feeder as I was struggling managing the old one - I told Will I was afraid my mixture was wrong - the first time I saw them again was 2 weeks ago but they could have been here while I was in Atlanta and sick. I can tell there are at least 2 different ones and I think more. I’m still thinking about getting another feeder or two.

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

This is my favorite window feeder. Easy to hang, easy to fill and clean:

Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

We're starting to see two or three hummingbirds at a time, chasing each other away from the feeders, of course. They're SO competitive. We usually have them around until the latter part of September, depending on how soon cooler weather shows up. One day in the 30's and they're gone.

I've got about 12 feeders hung at this point, I think I have two or three more I could hang, including two window feeders.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.