2021 Christmas Cookie Collections

Home Forums Baking — Desserts 2021 Christmas Cookie Collections

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

I've been looking through the various Christmas Cookie collections at the Washington Post, Chicago Tribune, Wall Street Journal and other sites, including several on my iPhone, so far I've only found two recipes that interest me. Most of them strike me as too much work or flavor combinations (like rosemary and pine nuts) that we wouldn't like.

One is the Washington Post's Marbled Shortbread recipe, you take the dough, divide it roughly in half, divide one half into fourths and color them, then fold them all together into a log in a way that produces streaks of color in the cookies when sliced, the recipe also calls them kaleidoscope.

The more interesting recipe is the Wall Street Journal's Brutti ma Buoni cookies. It translates to 'ugly but good'. They're hazelnut meringue cookies. The interesting step is that once you make the meringue and add in the toasted chopped hazelnuts, you cook the meringue in a skillet until it turns beige, then you use a spoon to make the cookies and bake them. This results in a meringue cookie that is tan rather than white.

I am not providing links because I'm not sure they'd work. The Washington Post collection article could probably be gifted, which would work for two weeks.

Spread the word
      Joan Simpson
      Participant

I've seen the recipe of 4 colors for the shortbread cookies but have never tried it.I like the meringue cookies with pecans but haven't made them in awhile either.

BakerAunt
        Participant

Here's the Los Angeles Times Christmas Cookies; half are gluten-free, and half are vegan.

https://www.latimes.com/food/story/2021-12-01/the-l-a-times-2021-holiday-cookies?utm_id=43711&sfmc_id=825467

After looking at them, I shall pass.

What I really want are my splendid butter cookies--rolled sugar cookies and shortbread--which had to go when I needed to restrict butter in my diet to a tiny amount. I am planning on baking Pfeffernusse, which still require a stick of butter but make enough long-lasting cookies that I can eat one a day and into the new year. Of course, my plans for that last year did not count on my husband--who says he does not care for them--eating them at a greater rate than my one a day.

If I can find my springerle molds, I have an oil-based ginger cookie that is delicious. We are still in disorder because the contractor working on the annex has not been back for two months, so what would be over there is piled in the house, and I'm not sure we will even have a place for a Christmas tree. Let's see how much he and his crew accomplish when they return in the coming week.

I might bake the KABC rye-spice cookies.

skeptic7
          Participant

Baker Aunt;
            I remember you having an interesting chocolate crinkle cookie which was oil based instead of butter, and some of the biscotti recipes can use oil instead of butter too. What is your favorite butter based cookie recipe? I have been staying away from Christmas cookies for years but more because of the calories than the butter. I have favorite Christmas breads but those are also full of butter.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.