I Now Understand Cream of Celery Soup

Home Forums General Discussions I Now Understand Cream of Celery Soup

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

Maybe some of you know all about celery, but I enjoyed this article:

In the interests of full disclosure, I actually own a celery jar--a tall rectangular cut class piece with lid that belonged to a great-grandmother. However, I prefer to put color wrapped Hershey's Kisses in it for each holiday.

Spread the word
      chocomouse
      Participant

I have a celery vase too! I remember my mother putting celery in her's for special meals, but I've never used mine. Every summer I visit Michigan, west of Kalamazoo, and I've seen and smelled the celery fields there. I've tried growing it in my garden, but I don't have "wetlands" and didn't water it nearly enough, so it was tough and stringy. But it was a fun experiment. Thanks for sharing that article, Baker Aunt.

navlys
        Participant

I have noticed that when I buy celery at the market it is sometimes bitter and sometimes sweet. I would like to sneak a corner of it before buying but it is not practical. Oh well....

BakerAunt
          Participant

I've also noticed after moving to Indiana that the carrots we get here are bitter, as compared to the ones I bought at a particular store in Texas (and those were organically grown as well). We have taken to buying the so-called mini-carrots in bags, but even these are not as sweet as what we were getting.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 5 months ago by BakerAunt.
            Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

Far too many fruits and vegetables are bred and grown for appearance and long shelf life in the store rather than for flavor. I'm not personally convinced that being 'organic' makes them taste better.

Tomatoes used to be one of the worst offenders in the winter, but recently we've been getting some Nebraska-grown hydroponic tomatoes in the winter that actually have some decent flavor to them.

Red Delicious apples are red, they aren't delicious.

I buy celery by smell, and I stopped buying full-sized carrots years ago because they're either bitter or woody, if not both.

BakerAunt
              Participant

I agree that organic does not necessarily mean tastes good. There was one store in Texas where the organic carrots did not taste good, and another one where they did. I've tried carrots at two different stores here, one had organic. Both packages were bitter.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.