Sat. Oct 3rd, 2026

skeptic7

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 1,353 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of September 27, 2026? #50129
    skeptic7
    Participant

      I did Chicken Thighs, Jacques Pepin style. I've done variations of this before but this time I followed directions and sliced the chicken flesh on both side of the bone. This makes it lie flatter and cook more thoroughly. I found one of the tricks to getting the chicken skin to cook properly is to place it skin side down on a cold pan and then not turn it until the skin is cooked and the fat is melting. This way the skin cooks and doesn't stick to the pan.
      I did two chicken thighs with rice and frozen peas last night and I'll do two more tonight. I put a little barbecue sauce on it after it was cooked and found the sauce too salty and strong flavored.

      in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of September 20, 2026? #50103
      skeptic7
      Participant

        Mike; That pizza looks wonderful. Is this one of the crust recipes you were experimenting with?

        in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of September 20, 2026? #50096
        skeptic7
        Participant

          It finally got cool enough yesterday to consider cooking more than grilled cheese sandwiches. I did green beans with meat sauce , using green beans and hamburger from the farmer's market. I had to do a lot of subsitutions to this recipe. My version turned out mildly spicy. Next time I'll cook the meat part a little longer to make it softer -- or perhaps a lot less. Ate this with white rice.

          Sauteed Green Beans with Ground Beef

          in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of September 6, 2026? #50009
          skeptic7
          Participant

            Its been too hot the last couple of weeks to do any baking and my cooking has been minimal. I've been subsiding mainly on grilled tomato and cheese sandwiches, sometimes with luncheon meat and/or onions added. I did manage to cook stir fry pork and vegetables, and stir fry chicken and vegetables and once a pork chop with apples.
            My plan for this week is hamburgers and more hamburgers. I plan to give blood or try to on Wednesday and I want to boost my iron.

            in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of August 9, 2026? #49854
            skeptic7
            Participant

              Its been too hot to cook for nearly a month, and I have been living on sandwiches. I have found a neat bun/bread called "Sandwich Starters" at Trader Joe which is like small rectangular foccacio which makes a great sandwich that can be heated up in a frying pan. I've found some sandwich buns are too soft and crumble in your hands, and others have big holes that lets the mustard dripped out. Has anyone tried to make sandwich size focaccia? I've mainly made this bigger and sliced them up later.
              I tried cooking black bean soup in a slow cooker which doesn't heat the kitchen as much. And even if it did I can safely hide in the basement from the slow cooker. I'm going to have to start doing bread again in a slow cooker and look at other recipes.

              in reply to: Bread in an InstaPot #49853
              skeptic7
              Participant

                A friend gave me a Power Pot which is a electronic pressure cooker. I haven't used it yet but is it similar to an InstaPot?

                in reply to: What are you Baking the Week of June 14, 2026? #49513
                skeptic7
                Participant

                  I did lemon-vanilla scones yesterday with dried lemon; and Chocolate Cherry rolls. The rolls first needed extra buttermilk and then extra flour but turned out very well. I'm very happy to have a Kitchen Aid Mixer now. My right shoulder is a bit sore from shoveling ice last winter and I couldn't have kneaded this by hand.
                  Dried lemon as a spice sounds wierd. I had bought it at a Halal Grocery and think its Middle Eastern. I put a generous tablespoon in the scones. The scones also contain a teaspoon of vanilla which I rarely add to scones and something has added a distinct flavor.

                  Aaron; I look forward to hearing about your cooking adventures at your synagogue. Have you ever made mandelbrot? I was discussing this with a friend and she told me that it should be less dry than a biscotti. I had previously thought these were nearly identical cookies only one was made with oil instead of butter.

                  in reply to: What are you Baking the Week of June 14, 2026? #49496
                  skeptic7
                  Participant

                    The weather in Lexington, Ky is wonderfully cool and pleasant today. So much so that I will do some cooking. I want to make scones, and chocolate cherry bread for fun; and Ma Po Bean curd for supper. It feels like such an indulgence to do any cooking after the heat of the previous days.

                    in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of June 7, 2026? #49473
                    skeptic7
                    Participant

                      I did stir fried chicken with green onions; and seperately stir fried purple cauliflower fromt the farmer's market. It retained its color and was very tasty. I like colored cauliflower much better than white cauliflower.

                      in reply to: “14 Kitchen Gadgets” #49392
                      skeptic7
                      Participant

                        I could be completely wrong, but see those ads all the time and I don't believe them. In a lot of older cookbooks there are recipes that use stale bread. Stuffing, croutons, bread pudding, French Toast. So there wasn't a magical method of keeping bread longer.

                        in reply to: What are you Baking the Week of May 31, 2026? #49390
                        skeptic7
                        Participant

                          I had a personal quiche from the farmer's market. I can vouch that it makes a very good breakfast! How big is your quiche? My little one was about 3 inches in diameter and about 1 1/2 inches deep.

                          in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of May 31, 2026? #49389
                          skeptic7
                          Participant

                            I made Pumpkin Chickpea Curry soup the other day and am now eating it with cheese sandwiches.
                            Grilled cheese sandwiches is an easy meal when you don't want to wash dishes.

                            in reply to: 2026 Gardens #49281
                            skeptic7
                            Participant

                              I am glad you are so careful about the bunnies!

                              in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of May 17, 2026? #49272
                              skeptic7
                              Participant

                                I did Lemon Chicken from "Chinese Casserole Cookery" by Lilah Kan. I've found many of her braised recipes can be adapted easily for slow cooker or pressure cooker. This time I did four chicken drumsticks in the pressure cooker. It was very good. I have plenty of lemon sauce left over so I think I'll have to repeat the recipe very soon. Any ideas for lemon sauce -- lemon juice, sugar and thickened with a little corn starch -- besides more braised chicken?

                                in reply to: What are you Baking the Week of May 17, 2026? #49263
                                skeptic7
                                Participant

                                  I had buttermilk pancakes; topped with sour cream mixed with brown sugar and local strawberries. The sour cream, brown sugar, strawberry combination was recommended by a friend and it is wonderful together. I had three small pancakes with strawberries for breakfast and was going. to save the extra pancakes for an afternoon snack but ate them mid morning. The weather is getting too hot for baking except in early morning.

                                Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 1,353 total)