cwcdesign
Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
September 28, 2026 at 8:01 pm in reply to: What are you Baking the Week of September 27, 2026? #50125
I had bought a bag of mandarin oranges because I like to peel and eat one after dinner. Now, this particular bag had small ones in it but they were rounder than the usual ones I buy. I tried to peal one and the peel was hard to separate and it was so juicy that the sections were just falling apart. That's when I took to heart the fact that all clementines are mandarins but not all mandarins are clementine - some are even small juicy oranges. I decided to juice them to use the juice for baking. I came out with three cups of juice.
I'm thinking about making the barefoot contessa's orange pound cake, but that only uses 3/4 cup juice and also requires zest from 6 oranges that I don't have. I thought maybe I could sub some orange juice for some of the buttermilk. Any thoughts? Or suggestions for what to do with all this juice? It does taste really good.
September 23, 2026 at 4:59 pm in reply to: What are you Baking the Week of September 20, 2026? #50095Yesterday, I made our friend's Irish Brown bread which is a very quick one - it's still good, but the crust is a little dry. I made 2 mistakes - didn't allow the ingredients come to room temperature which made it harder to combine and I forgot to set the timer. I think I could have baked it a bit 5 minutes less. Lessons learned - don't rush it🤪
September 21, 2026 at 5:46 am in reply to: What are you Baking the Week of September 20, 2026? #50088Yesterday I made an Irish Chocolate Cake for a friend who helped me rip shelving out of my closet before I had a new closet system installed. He came back to install the small corner pieces of baseboard. It's one of his and his wife's favorite cakes.
I can't remember the last time I baked a cake, probably over a year ago and I sure made a mess of the mixer with the chocolate - I tried to stream it into the bowl while the mixer was running and I should have dumped it in all at once 🤣
September 21, 2026 at 5:41 am in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of September 20, 2026? #50087It's been a while since I posted and even since I've checked out the threads. My cooking and baking has been sparse as well. I tend to make a meal that lasts for several days, so usually not much to report. I've also been reworking my schedule at home to create more time for my art and my classes - that part is going well And I also do my PT 6 days a week- lots of improvement there, but I'm told it will probably take another 6 months before I'm completely done.
Last night I made a pot of tortellini en brodo which I will enjoy for a few more nights.
I made a loaf of KABC's No Knead Harvest Fruit Bread. I like to use chopped apricots instead of golden raisins. This is my best effort so far -
I made Greek Orzo Salad (with whole wheat orzo) from Ina's Go-To Dinners cookbook.
Tonight I had a steamed artichoke with Cheater's aioli. It was a nice simple dinner and I had watermelon for dessert
I made a Chopped Thai Noodle Salad with Peanut Dressing from a recipe I found a few years ago. It was more work than I anticipated and the dressing doesn't have a lot of flavor. The salad is good enough to finish eating but I won't be making it again. At least the organic chicken tenders were on sale at $5.73 as today was their last day.
Tabbouleh and lettuce in a pita
I had the rest of the salmon and orzo, but opted for microwaved frozen peas. I got home too late to make the bok choy. And, it was hot and humid again
It's hot here and I'll be working all week so no day off until next Sunday. So today I prepped for the week.
I made 5 cups of chicken stock from my lone rotisserie carcass, a batch of tabbouleh to which I will I will add some feta later. And tonight I backed a piece of salmon which I split for two meals. I had spinach and orzo with it. Tomorrow night I'll saute the baby bok choi that I have on hand. I also gave salad greens to go with the tabbouleh and I can add tuna if I want more protein.
Thanks Mike
I made chicken salad with the rest of the white neat from the rotisserie chicken and had it with some greens. Now I have a carcass for some chicken stock - one small batch is about all I can make right now - no heavy pot lifting yet😆
Your prime rib looks beautiful, Mike.
I made a chicken sandwich with rotisserie chicken, salad greens, a little mayo on my Multigrain English Muffin Toasting Bread (see baking thread) toasted.
A belated Happy Father's Day to all the fathers in your lives.
I finally got to bake yesterday - the first time since before my surgery. I adapted the English Muffin Toasting Bread (for two loaves) by using 3 cups (360g) AP flour, 2½ cups (282g) WWW, ½ cup (74g) Harvest Grains Blend. I used the full tablespoon of yeast as I was using WWW and the grains and honey instead of sugar to add a little moisture. Halfway through the beating I added 2 more tablespoons of water and then beat an additional 30 seconds to get it smoother. It took about 50 minutes to rise and 22 minutes to bake. It did not get as much spring as I'd like and it is a little dense. I think I need to add more water next time.
Photos of the loaves and slices below - lots of crannies, but not many wholes - I think more liquid would help there.
Attachments:
You must be logged in to view attached files. -
AuthorPosts