When a Waffle Maker Does Not Work

Home Forums General Discussions When a Waffle Maker Does Not Work

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

I, foolishly, bought a Dash one-plate waffle iron, that I could put at our vacation place, and maybe use for travel. I even saw myself making mini dessert waffles--about three and a half inches in diameter. I tried to make waffles on it this morning. Disaster. It never got hot enough to bake the waffle. I made pancakes instead, then put the remaining batter into my Texas-sized muffin pan and baked them for 15 minutes at 400F. (I got this idea from an old KAF blog about leftover pancake batter. It works even better in one of the "bun" pans, but my bun pan is over a thousand miles away right now.)

I'll see if TJ Maxx will give me a refund on the device when I get back home. I should have been wiser, as Dash is not a major brand name, and any waffle maker with a plastic top on the metal lid certainly will not get hot enough to bake a waffle.

Spread the word
      • This topic was modified 7 years, 8 months ago by BakerAunt.
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

I'm careful about what I buy at places like Tuesday Morning, TJ Maxx, HomeGoods and Marshalls. Most of their goods are something some other store couldn't sell, for reasons that we don't know.

BakerAunt
        Participant

I've actually had good luck with both TJ Maxx and Tuesday Morning. I've only once returned a defective item to TM, and I've never had one to return to TJM. I have noticed lately, however, that some of their appliances are now marked re-conditioned, so I would stay away from those. I do think that with any item from either store, it pays to look it over carefully. I wish that I had tried that waffle maker out when I first bought it.

aaronatthedoublef
          Participant

I had a white, plastic lidded waffle maker for years. The place I bought it, Lechmere, went bust long ago. Now I have a metal lidded one that is about 10 years old and slowly dying...

For some reason I had different recipes for waffle and pancake batter for years. I now use the same for both which seems to amaze my family. Last weekend I made plain pancakes and waffles AND blueberry pancakes and waffles (my youngest has decided she does not like blueberries).

I have not tried the muffin trick yet but it makes sense. Everyone is putting everything in a muffin tin these days. The hot new thing in NYC is mufagles - a bagel baked in a muffin tin. I've also seen people breathless at "duffins" or doughnuts in muffin tins even though KAF did that years ago and bakeries here in Hartfordland (which usually lags the rest of the world) was selling those as dirt bombs for years before I moved here.

BTW, another new thing is bagel holes. Has anyone here cut bagels? I've always made ropes and then joined the ends together in circles.

BEW

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

I use the 'poke a hole in the middle' method, but I usually make smaller bagels (3 ounces of dough per bagel) and my hands are too big for the rope method at that size. I haven't made bagels in a while, the smaller ones are about 40 carbs per bagel.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 8 months ago by Mike Nolan.
              BakerAunt
              Participant

I used the muffin tin because with the amount of baking soda in the recipe, I knew the batter would be flat the next day. With regular pancake batter, I can usually get away with holding it for an additional one or two mornings.

The pancakes I made with the waffle batter were absolutely wonderful--very light with slightly crisp edges, and oh, so easy to flip over. (I made large ones the size of my 8-inch skillet.) I will probably use that waffle recipe for pancakes again.

The waffle maker I have at home is a Vitanno (spelling?). I bought it as a present to myself after a horrid drive home from Moses Lake to Spokane after a major snowfall. The one good moment of that trip was the waffle breakfast with plenty of syrup before I began the drive. That was 1990. It's a two-space Belgium waffle maker, and it takes up very little room. I hope it lasts a very long time, because I don't like what I've seen advertised.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 8 months ago by BakerAunt.
              Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.