What Did You Bake the Week of November 20, 2016?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What Did You Bake the Week of November 20, 2016?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

We went out of town this week, so all of my baking was done on Monday, in preparation for our Thanksgiving road trip to California. I baked the dough I mixed up last week for the double recipe of sourdough cheese crackers. I also baked my variation on the KAF Christmas Scones. I baked my variation of Moomie's Rolls, which uses only 2 tsp. of yeast, 3/4 tsp. of salt, and replaces 3/4 cup of water with buttermilk and 1 cup of the AP flour with whole wheat flour, and adds 2 Tbs. flax meal. I've loved these rolls ever since Mrs. Cindy suggested the recipe to me last year.

Spread the word
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

I made Vienna Bread, this time I cut 2 of the loaves in half before freezing them, since it seems like I only finish half a loaf before it goes bad.

I also made an apple pie for Thanksgiving:
        Apple Pie

I made it in the Norpro non-stick pie pan, it slid right out onto the plate. This is one non-stick pie pan that really works!

As noted in the Thanksgiving thread, my wife and I working together made some maple syrup pumpkin custard (pumpkin pie without a pie shell).

Italiancook
        Participant

Your pie looks gorgeous, Mike!

I baked Banana Nut Bread. I used black walnuts and am very unhappy with their flavor. There is no flavor. I purchased them from the grocery store and won't ever again do that. I'm going to try a source that claims their black walnuts are 'freshly hulled." If that doesn't work, I'm giving up on black walnuts.

I'm thinking that part of the problem is that I put them in the freezer right from the store. I didn't know when I'd use them and didn't want them to become rancid. Nevertheless, they did not have the flavor of the black walnuts my grandmother used. Of course, hers really were fresh as my dad hammered the nuts open and picked them out himself. But still, for the price, I think there should have been some black walnut flavor.

I also baked a Lemon Crostata that was discussed in a previous thread.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

When I was a boy we used to spend several Sundays in the fall harvesting black walnuts, I agree the ones in the store have little flavor. I've gotten some at a local farmer's market done by the local nut growers association, they were pretty much what I remember as a kid.

I don't think freezing them was the problem, though, because my mother used to freeze them all the time. We used to eat them straight from the freezer, still frozen.

cwcdesign
            Participant

On Sunday I baked an Irish Chocolate Cake to take to a birthday party. I learned not to use black cocoa powder for the pan - it contrasts too much with a cake made with chocolae chips.

Then on Saturday, I started my baking for the bake sale with a batch of Butter Pecan biscotti (KAF) and substitute Butterfinger bits for the butterscotch chips. It does work.

Joan Simpson
              Participant

We celebrated our Thanksgiving on Wednesday (some family had to work Thanksgiving at a restaurant) so my part was baking pies.I made an apple, pumpkin,and 2-coconut pies all turned out well.Also baked a sweet potato souffle with marshmallows put on at the end of baking just to puff up a little.Was pleased with everything and I enjoyed making it.I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving we are all so blessed!Forgot to add the turkey that was baked was baked upside down and it was so moist,the best turkey I’ve ever had.I had heard of that before but never tried,well it worked!

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

I stuff the cavity with the same mixture we use for a goose: prunes that have been soaked in brandy for a day, apple slices, lemon wedges and some almonds. For the turkey breast I wrapped it all in cheesecloth so it didn't fall out.

This always produces a nice moist bird.

RiversideLen
                  Participant

I baked Pumpkin Spice Bars. I have the recipe from Food dot com but it's identical to
                    Pumpkin Squares
                    Submitted by debbin on March 12, 2007 at 8:36 pm
                    that is posted here except I didn't frost them. One change I did make was to reduce the sugar a bit and substituted a half cup of buttermilk for a half cup of oil. It came out great.

BakerAunt
                    Participant

Thanks, Cwcdesign for posting about the Butter Pecan Biscotti using Butterfinger chips. I am baking for a bake sale this weekend that supports social services in the area. I'm going to try the recipe.

Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

I've got some Heath bit chips that I suspect would work well for this. (I forget what I bought them for, probably something I've stopped making because it has too many carbs.)

cwcdesign
                        Participant

You're welcome bakeraunt. I was able to package 6 bakers' dozens by cutting them straight across - I made them a little wider than ½" I also did the second bake with the biscotti standing up

luvpyrpom
                          Participant

Did a lot of baking this week - mason jar Boston cream cakes, KA Honey Wheat Rolls, Vienna bread, molasses cookies, mint chocolate chip cookies.

Mike - love your pie, looks beautiful. I made the Vienna bread with my Italian loaf pan except instead of 2 loaves, I divided each roll in half and had 4 smaller loaves instead. I find that we (my mother and I) can finish a small loaf in a more reasonable time.

Cwc - I do the same thing when I bake any biscotti - cuts the second baking time in half when I stand them up in the pan. One of my favorites is a snickerdoodle biscotti.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.