What Did You Bake the Week of June 26, 2016?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What Did You Bake the Week of June 26, 2016?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

It was a busy baking week for me. On Monday I tried a new recipe, Blueberry Sourdough Muffins, from the KAF site. It calls for fed or unfed starter, and my starter needed feeding. Since my starter is on the soupy side, I deleted the extra 1/2 cup of milk in the recipe. I chose the butter and maple syrup options, and I deleted the 1 1/2 tsp. of cinnamon. I reduced the frozen blueberries from 2 to 1 1/2 cups. I meant to sprinkle the muffins with coarse sugar before baking, but I forgot. I baked them as 6 large rather than 12 standard-sized, and they were done in 20 not 25 minutes. My husband and I both liked them. On Tuesday night, I mixed up a batch of the KAF sourdough crackers with my addition of powdered cheese. This recipe works best if the dough is allowed to sit for 24-36 hours in the refrigerator before baking, but I didn't get around to baking them until Saturday evening. They came out fine. On Wednesday, I baked that fabulous lemon cake from The Perfect Cake for an office farewell party. I also started the KAF recipe for Jeffrey's Sourdough Rye Bread. The starter sits 12-14 hours, so I baked it Thursday morning. in the bread bowl I bought from KAF. The second rise was too long, so it did not get the rise it should have. Saturday evening, I tried a new recipe, Aunt Dorothy's Nutty Nugget Cookies, a recipe from Barbara Deck that appeared in The Ruidioso News. It has peanuts and raisins, but I added some chocolate chips and substituted in 1/4 cup of white whole wheat flour and deleted the cinnamon. We shall see what my testers think tomorrow.

Spread the word
      • This topic was modified 7 years, 9 months ago by BakerAunt.
      BakerAunt
      Participant

Even though the sourdough-cheddar cracker dough rested in the refrigerator for four days until I had time to bake them, they are the best ones I've baked so far. This time, all my added flour was whole wheat. (I find that my discarded starter needs an additional 1/4 cup of flour, and I'd been using AP). The rest time, in my experience, makes the dough a lot easier to roll out. I also try to make a square-ish rectangle, which in my oven bakes more evenly.

The cookies were great. Although I held out 1/2 cup of peanuts when I added the 1/2 cup of chocolate chips, next time, I will do a full cup of each. Once I get the recipe where I want it, I will post it.

rottiedogs
        Participant

I made a apricot cream cheese coffee cake and a banana crumb coffee cake for a church function. The banana cake was a first time bake. It was pretty good and I will make it again.

luvpyrpom
          Participant

Made three trays of KAF Honey Bars for a work meeting. Everyone loves it. No bread making as I just didn't have any time. Seeing the thread about Finnish Rye bread, made me realize that I hadn't made it for a while so will put that on the list to make again in the near future.

cwcdesign
            Participant

I made a double batch of KAF's Black & White Brownies. I rewrote it as a double in my files, because one batch is never enough!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.