What Did You Bake the Week of July 3, 2016?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What Did You Bake the Week of July 3, 2016?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

I've been doing most of my baking in the morning, as it has been a very hot week. It also gives me something to do while watching Le Tour de France. On Sunday, I baked Yogurt Barley Fruit Scones, a new recipe from an internet blog. Instead of butter or cream, it used full-fat Greek yogurt. They are ok but nothing special. I prefer the barley scones recipe that I posted here. On Monday, I baked two loaves of my Buttermilk Grape Nuts Bread, since we were out of bread. On Wednesday, I baked Sweet Potato Sandwich Rolls (Sift Fall 2015) to use for Sloppy Josephines. It's the third time that I have baked this recipe. Although I have made 8 buns in the past. This time I made 9, and they are still large. I might make it 10 next time. On Thursday, I tried another new recipe, the Desart Cakes (Caraway Cookies) from the same issue of Sift, since I have leftover heavy cream. Although the recipe claims to make 5 1/2 dozen, I got 2 1/2 dozen plus one--and I used my pastry wands to make sure I rolled the dough 1/8-inch thick, and my cutter was the 2 1/2 inches specified. It also took 18 minutes, not 10-12 minutes to bake them with a hint of brown. I do have heavy baking sheets, but usually it's only about a 2 minute difference. They are only ok, so I won't be baking them again. On Friday morning, I tried a new recipe for Lemon Barley Scones (KAF Wholegrain Baking Book). The dough was too wet for shaping, so I grabbed a 1/2 cup scoop and made eight large drop scones. They were excellent warm, with the light glaze, and still pretty excellent cold the next day. On Saturday morning, I again baked the Orange-Barley Cake with which Kid Pizza helped me. (See details in baking thread.) That used up the leftover cream cheese and the two organic oranges. I will freeze it. I still have sour cream and some heavy cream to use up before we leave for Indiana next week, so I might be adding to this post later today.

Later: This evening, I baked two small Cinnamon-Sour Cream Coffee Cakes. We will have one for dessert tomorrow and maybe freeze one.

Spread the word
      • This topic was modified 7 years, 9 months ago by BakerAunt.
      • This topic was modified 7 years, 9 months ago by BakerAunt.
      Italiancook
      Participant

I had houseguests that included 2 children. I taught the kids how to make Martha Stewart's Sugar Cookies from her book, "Entertaining." They had great fun rolling out the dough and using Christmas and Easter cookie cutters. I gave each child 1/4 of the dough. I put the other half in the freezer.

After they left, I made Banana Bread for the freezer. I slice it, then wrap each slice in an inexpensive fold-over-flap sandwich bag. I put the slices in a freezer bag, label it, and I have breakfasts or snacks.

I was going to the meat market, so I made Double Chocolate Brownies for the guys there. My husband offered to do that errand. I forgot to send the goodies with him. He inherited the brownies.

I also made Wonky's Raisin Bread that I wrote about in another thread. Thanks, Wonky for the delicious bread!

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

I made 3 loaves of Vienna bread. 2 are in the freezer, I figure this will probably last me another 2-3 weeks.

luvpyrpom
          Participant

Again, no baking this past week. I've finally put away all my canning stuff so now I can focus on baking again.

rottiedogs
            Participant

Easy baking this week. I made the nestle toll house pan cookie but I used red white and blue M&M's instead of the chocolate chips. Every now and again I will use M&M's instead of the chips in the pan cookie for something different.

cwcdesign
              Participant

Didn't bake anything last week. And I was thinking that I miss Livingwell (Penelope) who also would post when she didn't bake anything. I wonder if she is lurking or knows that Zen set up a private account for her so she could participate there http://bakingcircle.prophpbb.com

Oh, and this may not be the right place for it but I did hear from Zen who said she hasn't had time to join here. She's been too busy trying to get rid of nicotine on the walls of her new house so she can paint

BakerAunt
                Participant

I also miss Livingwell. Reading through old posts reminds me of the cheerfulness she always brought. I keep hoping that she will join at one or both sites.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.