What Did You Bake the Week of August 28, 2016?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What Did You Bake the Week of August 28, 2016?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

Let's hope that cooler weather is on the way, and people will be back in the kitchen baking.

Sunday morning, I baked a half recipe of my adaptation of The Ship's Galley Zucchini muffins (KAF website). Mine is healthier with half the sugar, less oil, and 1/3 white whole wheat flour. I also add cinnamon chips--ok, maybe less healthy in that regard--but delicious. I sprinkle coarse sugar on top and bake them in a Texas muffin pan. On Saturday, I baked a new recipe, English Muffin Bread, from Bernard Clayton's revised and expanded New Complete Book of Breads (pp. 52-53). In the evening, I baked my variation of the chocolate version of Anna's Swedish Butter Cake, in Susan Purdy's The Perfect Cake, pp. 102-103. My variation is to use double Dutch process cocoa and buttermilk. It's for my stepdaughter's birthday tomorrow. It will be frosted with her favorite white chocolate-cream cheese frosting. After years of using Wilton 9-inch pans, I treated myself to a set of 9-inch USA pans from Bed, Bath, and Beyond. They are truly superior.

Spread the word
      Joan Simpson
      Participant

The Southern Lady Cooks
        August 25 at 7:41pm ·
        These Cherry Dessert Cake Bars are so easy to make and they taste wonderful. Make them for dessert and serve with ice cream or have them with coffee. RECIPE HERE>> http://bit.ly/2bCdJaY I made these Cherry Coffee Cake Bars and they were really good and quick,Made them in under 10 minutes and baked only 30 minutes.I don't use many cake mixes any more but I really liked this.This is all I baked this week.We had tropical storm winds and rain this week,we've been really blessed no damage and the power never went out for us.Lots of people all around us had big pine trees in their yards and some through their homes and many are still without power.Sugar our american bulldog of 11 years died yesterday and we are saddened with that.Sugar was my husbands right hand so he is lost.She was part of our family.

BakerAunt
        Participant

Joan--I'm sorry to hear of the loss of Sugar. Pets are like children, except that they don't borrow the car keys.

Joan Simpson
          Participant

Thank you BakerAunt,she was our baby!

S_Wirth
            Participant

I'm sorry for your loss of beloved Sugar, Joan.

Joan Simpson
              Participant

Thank you S_Wirth.

luvpyrpom
                Participant

I saw a new recipe on FB and thought I'd give it a try using margarine for myself to taste and compare with the lovely Cinnamon Toast Bars from Barefeet in the Kitchen. Snickerdoodle Blondie. Tastes are pretty similar, the blondie is definitely more denser, more like a brownie texture. I also tried a dairy-free pound cake - it substitutes coconut milk and olive oil for the butter. It also calls to bake in 6.5 in loaf pans (do they even make them that small?) so I just opted to make it in my bundt pan. It's a bit lighter than a pound cake but the flavor is there.

Joan, I'm sorry for your loss. Our pets really do fill a big space in our hearts.

Joan Simpson
                  Participant

Thank you luvpyrpom.

cwcdesign
                    Participant

Joan, I'm sorry for your loss - we lost Keira 2½ years ago, and it's still tough, so I understand what you're going through.

Luvpyrpom, I actually made a batch of the Cinnamon a Toast Cake using Foodiewithfsmily's vegan version for a dear friend who brought his truck on Wednesday to help move elder son's sofa from one apartment to another. Just as we started moving, the rain started drizzling, then we got it stuck in door of new apartment and had to take off front door to get it in! The downpour came while I was running to get tools. At least it was under the covered porch. When I delivered the cake the next day, his wife hollered "the supplies are here!" She said what more do you need to ride out the storm than water and cake.

We were lucky the storm went west of us so damage wasn't as bad as it could have been - trees down, a few on houses, the tide was going out so not much flooding. Some were without power; we never lost ours. Because lots of our employees had to cross the causeway over the marshes, they were all told to stay home, so it was minimal staff with those of us on the island. There was a guest who thought the resort had overreacted by closing the beach club. Of course, if it had stayed close to its original route, we would have been slammed.

Joan Simpson
                      Participant

Thank you cwcdesign.Glad no damages for ya'll in storm.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.