What are You Cooking the Week of September 3, 2017?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are You Cooking the Week of September 3, 2017?

Viewing 4 posts - 31 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Joan Simpson
    Participant

I made fresh creamed corn,fried okra and cubed pork.

Italiancook
      Participant

Thanks for the yogurt suggestion, BakerAunt. I didn't know that but will try it when I thaw the Asparagus Soup. For anyone wanting to try this, keep in mind that I ended up with 1 quart + 3/4 cup.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

It's been cooling off in the evenings here, too, we've had highs in the mid 80's but it gets down to the 50's overnight, and we've had the back door open most evenings, unless someone in the neighborhood has a fireplace going, in which case the wood smoke smell is too strong for us.

My wife sent me a USDA alert earlier this week about cool weather trends that may affect harvests in the
          upper midwest the next week or two. There could even be freeze warnings next week.

BakerAunt
          Participant

I was thinking of trying out the soba noodle recipe to which Mike gave a link, but first I googled "how to cook soba noodles" and ended up here:

http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-soba-noodles-from-scratch-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-191038

Fresh ones only cook in boiling water for about 60 seconds.

This article states that only two kinds of Buckwheat flour work for noodles (or at least for this site's recipe): the buckwheat from Anson Mills and a brand called "Cold Mountain" sold in Asian supermarkets. One poster says that Bob's Red Mill does not work for this particular recipe. There seems to be an implication that buckwheat flour for noodles is processed differently. I will need to do some additional research.

Viewing 4 posts - 31 through 34 (of 34 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.