What are you cooking the week of October 7, 2018?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you cooking the week of October 7, 2018?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

I'm making another batch of chicken stock today, probably making chicken noodle soup using it tomorrow.

Spread the word
      navlys
      Participant

I had leftover beef tenderloin and leftover pasta salad so I made a beef salad with greens and cucumber and ..,,other stuff. Good.

chocomouse
        Participant

I made pasta with a meat sauce, and a green salad for dinner tonight. I also prepared a batch of lemon ice cream, which is chilling now (I used eggs in the base, and chill it overnight) so I'll process it in the ice cream freezer tomorrow. And it's 50* here and I'm frozen! as I try not to turn on the furnace this early in the season.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

I'll probably give up and turn the furnace on in the next day or two, it's supposed to get down into the 30's by Wednesday.

BakerAunt
            Participant

To go with the pork chops my husband cooked, I cut up five Purple Viking Potatoes from the farmers’ market (skin left on). I rubbed them with olive oil, then put them on parchment on a baking sheet and roasted them at 400F for about 50 minutes. I sprinkled a dash of cider vinegar over them before serving. We had steamed broccoli as well.

Temperatures here were in the mid-80s today, with humidity. Our cold weather is supposed to come in on Friday, with highs only in the 40s. We will likely be having our first fire in the wood stove and turning on the furnace in the evening.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

If it ever stops raining, I may go pick the green tomatoes and lay them in the garage to ripen over the next several weeks. They're now forecasting a low of 29 over the weekend here!

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

I made another batch of chicken noodle soup today. There's a possibility of snow in the next week here.

wonky
                  Participant

Mike, we have been getting days and days of rain also. The farmers will have to wait til the ground is frozen to harvest the rest of the soybeans and high moisture corn. We have been fairly warm tho in the mid 60's. Tomorrow tho we are supposed to be down to the lower 40's but still more rain.

I hate that four letter work "snow" so please don't send any my way. We have not had a killing frost yet, so also of the perennial plants and such are actually still doing well. However because of all the rain, the lawns keep growing and growing. They actually look lush and beautiful, especially for October.

The Farmers Almanac is predicting a very cold winter for us with lots of snow..hopefully they are wrong.

RiversideLen
                    Participant

I've had the furnace on one day and then the air con the next. The air is on right now but in the 24 -48 hours it may be the furnace again.

Today I made some bone in, skin on chicken breasts on the BBQ.

Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

I'm hoping it dries up enough for the guy who cuts our grass to get one last mowing in before the grass gets all tamped down by snow, it needed mowing over a week ago but it's been raining too much. Not sure that last mowing is going to happen, there's more rain in the forecast for Friday.

Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

In addition to the chicken noodle soup I made a small batch of chicken salad today, that'll be lunch for my wife for a couple of days, and possibly for me too.

The noodles for the soup wouldn't roll out right, they kept falling apart, I'm not sure what I did wrong other than I realized afterwards I forgot the pinch of salt. I was making a 1/4 batch, I must have messed up the proportions somehow.

I finally wound up rolling them as best I could and then cutting them by hand. They were quite a bit thicker than usual, so I had to cook them longer. The soup needed a bit of salt, probably because the noodles didn't have any.

BakerAunt
                          Participant

To go with leftover pork chops and leftover roasted potatoes for Wednesday dinner, I made Green Beans and Tomato Sauce, a recipe from Betty Crocker International Cookbook (at least 30 years old and full of great recipes), using green beans and tomatoes from our garden and onion and garlic from the farmers’ market. I omitted the basil, since my husband does not care for that herb.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 6 months ago by BakerAunt.
                            skeptic7
                            Participant

I had pork chop with apples, and baked beans and Boston brown bread. I stirred fried some Edible Chrysantheum leaves -- it was what i had in the refrigerator to keep the plate from being completely brwon. The brown bread and beans went well with the pork chop. The beans balance the strong flavor of the brown bread.

navlys
                              Participant

I marinated a pork tenderloin in pickle juice then spread mustard on it and topped it with Swiss cheese and ham. Then I baked it at 350 for 25 min. It was a winner. A Cuban pork roast!

Joan Simpson
                                Participant

Oyster stew.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.