What are you Cooking the Week of October 30, 2022?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of October 30, 2022?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Any spooky meals?

Spread the word
      Joan Simpson
      Participant

I had homemade pizza with sausage, pepperoni, onions, mushrooms, green peppers, pickled peppers and black olives with cheese.My husband wanted scrambled eggs and sausage patty.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

I made a big pan of chicken, mushrooms and rice casserole, this will be supper tonight, lunch for most of the week and some may even go in the freezer.

BakerAunt
          Participant

My husband had leftover chicken, vegetable, rice stir-fry. I baked Roasted Beet, Greens, and Goat Cheese Flatbread for me., with the leftovers slated to be my lunches for part of the week.

Joan Simpson
            Participant

We had BBQ chicken in the pot with BBQ gravy over rice, leftover steamed cabbage and deviled eggs.

BakerAunt
              Participant

Happy Halloween, everyone!

I made soup for dinner on Monday, which is perfect for a rainy day. I used about 8 cups of the broth I made on Saturday, and 3 cups of potato water I had frozen this summer. I used olive oil, ground turkey, sliced celery, carrots, and mushrooms, some chopped garlic, 1 Tbs. rehydrated onion, 1 cup of brown lentils, half a cup of red lentils, and Halloween shaped pasta (pumpkins, bats, and spiders, oh my!). I seasoned with some rosemary, thyme, sage, and sweet curry.

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

We had McDonalds last night, but apparently we weren't the only ones with that idea, my wife was in the drive through lanes for close to an hour! I think they were short-staffed, something most fast food outlets are experiencing.

We had somewhere around 35 trick-or-treaters last night, that's on the low side for us.

Joan Simpson
                  Participant

We didn't have any trick or treaters.

Tonight we had beef stew with carrots, potatoes and onion , we had this on top of corn bread.

chocomouse
                    Participant

Dinner tonight was sausages and apples with brown sugar and cinnamon, cole slaw, and maple corn muffins.

Joan Simpson
                      Participant

We had hamburger steaks and fries.

BakerAunt
                        Participant

We will have leftover soup tonight.

I made the apple filling for the Butterscotch Apple Sweet Rolls on Wednesday and will freeze it for future use, probably for when one of the kids visits.

chocomouse
                          Participant

I made meatloaf, baked potato, and squash for dinner. I planned to bake a Delicata squash, which I grew for the first time this summer. I've never tasted one either. My husband cut it in half and scooped out the seeds and I put the halves upside down in a 9 x 12 pan lightly spritzed with oil. However, after it was baked, it was clearly a spaghetti squash! We ate it with dinner, with a little butter, it was good. But I've still not tasted Delicata squash! I'm wondering what the remaining squashes stored in our garage might be! I am sure (?) at least 6 of the yellow ones are spaghetti, and I'm hoping any remaining yellow with stripes are Delicata.

BakerAunt
                            Participant

Chocomouse--Was this another Gurney's surprise? I ask because one of our Honey Nut squash seeds produced what appear to be close relatives of butternut squash.

chocomouse
                              Participant

BakerAunt, it is a packet of Botanical Interests seeds, Winter Delicata "Honey Boat". Yellow, with dark green stripes. The stripes were not as dark as shown in photos. I have a couple more that we think are Delicata - I'm anxious to cook some just to find out what they are! I freeze butternut and buttercup, mashed or diced for roasting, but have not frozen spaghetti, not sure how the strands would be after freezing. Mushy? or do they maintain some body? I planted 4 hills of winter squash: delicata, spaghetti, buttercup, and butternut. By the time they are ready to harvest, the vines are so intertwined (one had grown up inside a tomato cage, a huge butternut) I cannot tell which hill the squash came from.

Mike Nolan
                                Keymaster

But did they cross-pollinate?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.