What are You Cooking the Week of October 28, 2018?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are You Cooking the Week of October 28, 2018?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

I finally got the computer back from my husband, so I'm starting this week's thread.

On Sunday, I made broth from the remains of the rotisserie chicken we had this week. I also roasted a Jarrahdale pumpkin and made puree in the food processor. The Jarrahdale is a slate blue-grey (but mine looked more of a green) pumpkin. It did give up a lot of water while roasting, but I drained the pan, and the puree is of a reasonable thickness. It has a slightly different smell from the pie pumpkins with which I usually work. The puree is a brighter orange, like that of peanut pumpkins.

Spread the word
      • This topic was modified 5 years, 6 months ago by Mike Nolan.
      • This topic was modified 5 years, 6 months ago by BakerAunt. Reason: clarity
      chocomouse
      Participant

Tonight we had boneless pork chops sauteed with sliced onions, apples, and boiled cider. I also made a cole slaw with the last garden cabbage, and roasted a gigantic butternut squash from the garden.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

Today I'm making a large batch of chicken stock, probably 10+ quarts.

BakerAunt
          Participant

For Tuesday night’s dinner, I made Pork Loin Roast with Barley, Butternut Squash, and Swiss Chard, a Cooks’ Illustrated recipe that appeared in Fall Harvest Recipes (p. 22), a collection that came out last fall. I’ve made this recipe two or three times before, and we really like it. I always use much more butternut squash and Swiss chard than the original recipe specifies, because I like a much higher proportion of vegetables to grains. The melding of flavors is phenomenal. It takes about 2 ½ hours from start to finish, and my pork roast always takes longer than the time given. In the past dinner has been late by the time I get it to the table, but tonight I nailed it. We have leftovers for the next few nights.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

Wound up making pepper steak stir fry for supper. Chicken stock still going, I'm trying a different process, based on the one in Rachael Mamane's book "Mastering Stocks and Broths". It is a bit more time-consuming.

BakerAunt
              Participant

Mike--I hope that the experiment proves to be worth the time. Of course, if it does, you will have to do it that way from now on....

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

The stock is in the cooling stage now, then I'll strain out the aromatics and chill it overnight to separate out any remaining fat. I should get 12-14 quarts of stock from 2 chickens, normally I get 4-5 quarts from one chicken.

I plan to start using it by making a batch of potato leek soup, probably tomorrow or Friday.

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

I made some chicken salad from the chicken used to make the stock. Our 18 year old cat likes the chicken, too.

Joan Simpson
                    Participant

Pets are special wow 18 yrs for a cat,definitely part of the family!
                      Yesterday I made taco salad and tonight we had dry lima beans,rice,corn bread and I fried a slice of Spam.

Joan Simpson
                      Participant

Breakfast for supper here tonight,just eggs,toast and coffee.

BakerAunt
                        Participant

I made applesauce on Friday afternoon, using mostly Melrose and Empire apples, and a couple of Winesaps. It made a lovely, pinkish applesauce that did not need much sugar. I don’t know that I would use Winesaps again, as it helps to have an apple that doesn’t hold its shape for applesauce. The flavor is excellent. I froze most of it for Thanksgiving (which is less than three weeks away).

Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

Winesap is a great pie apple, but it is too firm for applesauce. It is the best pie apple I've ever used. There are some European varieties that are supposed to be even better, but good luck finding any of them on this side of the pond.

I pre-cook the pie filling and then freeze it. That way it's ready to be put in a pie shell. It also works great in Irish Apple Cake.

BakerAunt
                            Participant

Mike--Is your apple pie filling recipe available online or in another location?

• This reply was modified 5 years, 5 months ago by BakerAunt.
                              Mike Nolan
                              Keymaster

No, it's the one I got at SFBI pastry school, I'm not sure if I can post it or not.

navlys
                                Participant

Swift baby back ribs were on sale so..I pulled of the sheath and made a rub with various Penzeys Spices and brown sugar. I threw some apple and onion slices and a little wine in the bottom of crockpot and cooked the rubbed ribs for 5 1/2 hrs on low. ( my old crockpot would have taken 8 hrs. Oh and I covered ribs in bbq sauce for the last hour.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.