What are you Cooking the week of March 24, 2019?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the week of March 24, 2019?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

We're going to have spaghetti and meatballs for supper tonight, with cheese toast.

Spread the word
      Joan Simpson
      Participant

Chili and hot dogs,cinnamon roll for dessert.

navlys
        Participant

We had spaghetti with meat sauce last night. I think tonight I will make chicken salad with grapes and serve it in a rolled tortilla with baked sweet potato fries. It's always fun to see how you can use up your freezer and pantry ingredients when your stay is limited. I feel like I'm a contestant on chopped!

chocomouse
          Participant

For dinner we had turkey soup made from the Christmas turkey. With it we had deli rye rolls (a KAF recipe) also from the freezer. Making space, getting eager to garden soon.

BakerAunt
            Participant

Chocomouse--once again, great minds think alike!

On Monday, I made a vegetable-mixed peas and lentils band barley soup. I used ½ cup Bob’s Red Mill Hull-less Barley (an older form). I know from experience that it needs to cook a long time, so I cooked it in 1 ¾ cups water by itself for an hour, then let it sit as I began to assemble the soup. I sautéed chopped onion, red bell pepper, celery, and carrots. (The carrots are from our garden. They were covered all winter, and my husband only just got around to digging most of them out.) I added ground turkey and browned it, then I added sliced mushrooms, then garlic. I had about 1 cup of crushed tomatoes left over from another recipe, so I added those, along with the barley, and 6 cups of turkey stock (frozen from our Christmas turkey). I used the Bob’s Vegi-soup blend of brown and orange lentils and green and yellow split peas with some barley alphabet letters. I seasoned it with 2 tsp. poultry seasoning (salt-free from Penzey’s) and a bit of sweet curry. We liked this variation.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

Steak, potato and mushrooms here tonight, plus some 5 bean salad.

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

I wish my wife liked either barley or lentil, I can't make a soup with either one in it. (Many lentil soup recipes also call for garlic, but that's something I can deal with.)

Joan Simpson
                  Participant

We had a steak sandwich and soup.

Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

Tonight was YOYO (You're On Your Own), so I had leftover spaghetti and meatballs and my wife had McD's on the way home from her chiropractor.

Joan Simpson
                      Participant

I had chili and a hot dog,my husband had soup and sandwich.

BakerAunt
                        Participant

Mike--have you tried using Farro instead of barley in soups? I tried it recently (there's a post from me with a link to Oprah's soup), and it seems easier on the digestive system than barley. I bought mine from Bob's Red Mill.

• This reply was modified 5 years ago by BakerAunt. Reason: corrected spelling of Farro
                          Joan Simpson
                          Participant

Soup and sandwich.

Mike Nolan
                            Keymaster

It's not a digestive issue, she just doesn't like the taste of either barley or lentils. I can get away with barley syrup in bagels, because that's mostly just a sweetener.

BakerAunt
                              Participant

Farro does have a different taste from barley, so it might be worth a try. I assume that you have tried different kinds of lentils. While the brown ones are the ones I usually use, the red ones have a different taste--and usually dissolve in a soup. I have a package of green lentils that I also plan to try.

What about split green or yellow peas?

• This reply was modified 5 years ago by BakerAunt.
                                BakerAunt
                                Participant

For Wednesday night dinner, we had a rotisserie chicken. I cooked ½ cup of farro in 1 ½ cups of turkey broth I found in the freezer, which made enough for two people. It’s easy to cook: bring to a boil, then simmer for 30 minutes. We also microwaved fresh broccoli.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.