What are you Cooking the week of March 15, 2020?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the week of March 15, 2020?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

I've got some sirloin steak I'll use for supper tonight.

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

For Sunday and Monday dinners, I have a large pot of soup simmering on the stove. I used the Bob’s Red Mill Vegi-Soup blend (lentils, split peas, and alphabet that dissolves), along with a large container of turkey broth from the freezer, and carrots, celery, and a red bell pepper sautéed in olive oil, then added ground turkey to brown before I added minced garlic and sliced mushrooms. I added the broth and the rinsed bean mix, then put in 1 Tbs. coarse salt, 1 Tbs. Penzey’s Bouquet Garni, 1 tsp. fennel (trying to get a sausage flavor going), 1 Tbs. tomato paste, and minced parsley. I’ll add some ground pepper at the end. I plan to freeze some of the soup for quick dinners, which is why I made such a large amount.

Joan Simpson
        Participant

We had hamburger steaks with sauteed onions and french fries.

Joan Simpson
          Participant

Tonight we had meatloaf,mashed potatoes and butter peas.

RiversideLen
            Participant

I had a pork chop, mashed potato and broccoli.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

We had sirloin steak, mushrooms and baked potato, and the last of the banana cream pie for dessert.

aaronatthedoublef
                Participant

I made carnitas last night. It was about three pounds of pork butt after trimming the fat.

First time I've made it in a while. I forgot how easy it is and how much I like it.

BakerAunt
                  Participant

Dinner on Tuesday was Salmon and Couscous, with Penzey's Sunny Paris seasoning. We also had microwaved fresh broccoli.

chocomouse
                    Participant

Dinner here tonight was grilled chicken thighs, roasted potatoes with Penzey's Herbes de Provence, squash from the freezer, and a green salad. I am so grateful to have obtained a huge box of fresh spinach and spring greens!

RiversideLen
                      Participant

I made a small pork roast and sweet potato. I sliced the potatoes in about 1/2 inch semi circles, tossed with olive oil and roasted it in a 400 degree oven. Came out pretty good and I have enough left for tomorrow.

Joan Simpson
                        Participant

We had BBQ chicken in the pot with BBQ gravy,mashed potatoes and a green salad.

Joan Simpson
                          Participant

Tonight I used leftover lima beans for soup and we had a grilled cheese with it.

Mike Nolan
                            Keymaster

I started a batch of sauerkraut using about 4 pounds of cabbage, then used the rest of that head to make a big bowl of vinegar-and-oil cole slaw, so that's the first part of my dinner, I'll probably have some chili later on.

BakerAunt
                              Participant

I had planned to buy cabbage at the store yesterday, but the shelves were bare.

For dinner on Wednesday, I again made “Pork Roast with Barley, Butternut Squash, and Swiss Chard, from Cook’s Illustrated. This time I ignored the recipe's oven temperature of 250F and set the oven at 325F. When I checked at 40 minutes, it was done, and perhaps might have been done five minutes earlier, but as it is a braise, the meat is fine cooked to a temperature of about 154F. As always, I substituted Kale for the Swiss Chard, since kale releases its calcium, whereas Swiss Chard binds it. It was a comforting meal on this cold, rainy day in an uncertain time. I won’t be making this recipe again until next fall, as I used my last butternut squash from the fall farmers market. They kept well out in the apt., where we have the heat set to 48F. We have leftovers for at least the next two days.

Mike Nolan
                                Keymaster

The Noma book has a recipe for butternut squash vinegar, I may try that this fall, along with tomato vinegar.

The carrot and celery vinegars are percolating nicely, I think I may need a bigger air pump, though. They're down to a pH of about 4.15, the book says they're usually done when they get to about 3.5. They smell interesting, and I can definitely get a vinegar smell. The celery one has developed a nice mother in it. (It looks like a jellyfish just below the surface.) If there's one in the carrot juice, it is hard to see because it is more opaque. I thought about using some for my cole slaw today, but I used some red wine vinegar my wife got from the wines teacher at UNL instead.

I've got some bottles to put them in and I'm working on designing a label for them. I've already promised some to a former chef we know.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.