What are You Cooking the Week of March 1, 2020?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are You Cooking the Week of March 1, 2020?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

We had leftover chicken and roasted potatoes tonight, along with microwaved mixed vegetables.

Spread the word
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

We got several really nice 7 bone roasts on Friday, and made one of them for supper tonight, it was excellent.

Joan Simpson
        Participant

We had left over meatloaf sandwiches and french fries

It was my birthday today ,I turned 65 wow does time fly.I had a great day,nothing special just a good day.Talked with a lot of my loved ones and that sure puts a smile on my face.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

Happy Birthday, Joan.

BakerAunt
            Participant

Happy belated birthday, Joan!

Joan Simpson
              Participant

Thank ya'll for the birthday wishes.

Tonight we had left over venison in gravy over rice and green beans.

I made another batch of pan grease.

S_Wirth
                Participant

Happy Belated Birthday wishes to you, Joan...and may your year be filled with all the things you enjoy most!

Joan Simpson
                  Participant

Tonight we had pan fried cubed pork,macaroni and cheese,turnips from the freezer,deviled eggs and sweet potato patties.

BakerAunt
                    Participant

For Tuesday night’s dinner, I cooked ½ cup freekeh in 1 ¼ cups chicken broth, with a bit of dried rosemary and chives. We had it with leftover chicken thighs and microwaved broccoli.

chocomouse
                      Participant

After a week living in a hotel, I really enjoyed dinner tonight! I cooked a pork roast in the tagine, using Tandoori seasoning from Penzey's, along with potatoes, carrots, and onions. Tender and delicious, with leftovers for another night.

Joan Simpson
                        Participant

Glad you're back Chocomouse.

Tonight I made pizza and really like doing it the way ya'll said leave it o the counter all day and only 1/4 tsp of yeast.The recipe I use for the dough I mix,knead it and then put in oiled bowl ,when ready to make pizza I don't roll it ,just push it out in pizza pan.I used canned pizza sauce Dei Fratelli I really like that sauce.Toppings were sausage,mushrooms,black olives,green peppers,onion,pepperoni,pickled banana pepper rings and cheese.Very good and enough for snacking later.

apilinariosilvia
                          Participant

I made Wood Fired Margherita Pizza in Wood Fired Pizza Ovens. In this Recipe, I used "Pizza Dough", "Fresh Pizza Sauce", "Fresh Mozzarella", It was so yummy Pizza.

Wood Fired Pizza Ovens

Attachments:
                            You must be logged in to view attached files.
                            BakerAunt
                            Participant

I made soup for Thursday night dinner. I had a package of Pereg Soup Mix (Pereg is a natural foods company that has been around since 1906), which I had picked up at T.J. Maxx, then forgotten about. It’s a mix of barley and various kinds of beans, with an expiration date of fourteen months ago. Oops. I’d used another expired package a while back, and I had trouble softening the beans, despite lengthy soaking. So, I grabbed my newly purchased copy of J. Kenji Lopez-Alt’s The Food Lab and read that beans should be soaked in salted water and cooked in salted water.

I used about 1 Tbs. coarse salt for the soaking, which was about 14 hours by the time I got around to them. I drained them, then used another 1 Tbs. coarse salt in the water in which I cooked them. I had beautifully done beans and barley in an hour. In a separate, larger pot, I sautéed carrots, celery, half a leftover red bell pepper, and mushrooms in olive oil. I added three cloves minced garlic, then ¼ cup Penzey’s dried onion re-constituted in 1 cup chicken broth. (That’s my workaround, since my husband seems to do ok with dried onion.) I added leftover browned ground turkey from the pizza earlier this week, and some more chicken broth. I seasoned with 1 Tbs. Penzey’s Bouquet Garni and 1 tsp. of Penzey’s Forward (salt free substitute of spices to use instead of salt). I simmered it for 15 minutes, then added the bean mixture, along with freshly minced parsley, and let it simmer for 40 minutes. It has fabulous taste, but it is a bit salty from how I cooked the beans, so perhaps I’ll use somewhat less salt next time. (The Food Lab does not specify how much salt is needed to get the good result.) We ate it with cornbread.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 2 months ago by BakerAunt.
                              Mike Nolan
                              Keymaster

Nice looking pizza! I wish I had space for a wood-fired oven in the back yard, wood-fired breads are so different from ones made in a regular oven, but I don't know how muh we'd use it, we hardly used the outdoor gas grill last summer.

We had steak, mushrooms and baked potato for supper tonight.

Joan Simpson
                                Participant

Apilinariosilvia your Margherita pizza looks very good!

Tonight we had fried chicken breast,rutabagas and fresh potato salad.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.