What are You Cooking the Week of June 18, 2017?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are You Cooking the Week of June 18, 2017?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

It's Father's Day, so I'm making a Sunday dinner of Dilled Salmon and Couscous (one of my husband's favorites) served, with peas.

Spread the word
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

I've made salmon with dill a few times, but I've never made couscous. My wife won't eat salmon (too many really bad canned salmon patties as a child), so when I do fish for dinner I get salmon and she gets orange roughy.

BakerAunt
        Participant

Here's the recipe:

It's not easy for me to find my recipes, since I posted a bunch from the Baking Circle, so my name comes up a lot.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

Nothing fancy here today, steaks on the grill, sauteed mushrooms, a nice salad and strawberry shortcake for dessert.

Happy Fathers Day, all you fathers out there.

BakerAunt
            Participant

We have leftover rotisserie chicken from after Saturday's garage sale, so for Tuesday dinner, I will make one of my grain bowls with rice, chicken, and vegetables. I'll cook the rice in some of the frozen chicken/turkey stock that I need to use up.

rottiedogs
              Participant

It's grilling season for me. I grilled an eye of the round roast and some steaks. Plus some shrimp. Mushrooms and crunchy bread rounded things out.

cwcdesign
                Participant

We've had salad for the last couple of nights. I grilled chicken breasts with Penzey's jerk spice. We'll eat when Will gets home from work in a little while

navlys
                  Participant

I made" grilled pork tenderloin with molasses sauce". I actually baked the pork and accidentally substituted maple syrup for the molasses. I won't make that mistake again. It was definitely edible but did not have the pizzazz the molasses version had. And here I thought I was accidentally on to something.

Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

Molasses is an underused flavoring. Maple syrup is tricky to cook with, it can get cloyingly sweet. I have paired it with Dijon mustard a few times, that's a combination that should work well with pork. (Grade B syrup is better for cooking IMHO.)

Joan Simpson
                      Participant

I baked a pork tenderloin,had rice and green butter beans and we had sandwiches with the left over tenderloin,so tender I love it.Cooked greens,potato salad and corn bread and fried pork chops last night.I'm thinking spanish rice tonight with a green salad.

BakerAunt
                        Participant

I have a recipe for Maple-Glazed Pork Roast that I make every Easter. I always use the "Grade B." I put that in quotation marks, because I read somewhere that the people in charge of naming maple syrup varieties are going to change to names like "light," "amber," and "dark," since Grade B implies a lesser product, and it is actually not.

My guess is that for grilling molasses would do better than maple syrup.

Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

I'm not sure when the new labeling standard for maple syrup takes effect, the guy from Wisconsin who sells syrup at the local farmers markets still labels his as grade B.

This is actually one time when the labeling change might make sense, Grade B is now a lower quality syrup than Grade A, it's just from later in the season and has a darker color and (IMHO) a more complex and interesting flavor.

BakerAunt
                            Participant

On Friday, I made Dilled Salmon and Couscous again. We did not plan this week's menu very well, and it was quick to pull out the last two pieces of frozen salmon from the freezer.

I made Four Bean Salad (recipe from my college roommate) on Saturday morning. I think that I posted it on this site. That uses up four cans of beans and finishes up the large bottle of cider vinegar.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 10 months ago by BakerAunt.
                              navlys
                              Participant

I just made potato salad (using up 3/4 of the baked potato I didn't eat) to go with the grilled tuna steaks and corn which we will have for dinner. It's a good thing I used the plastic egg timer in the water because the egg would not have been hard boiled after the 3 minutes suggested online.

cwcdesign
                                Participant

On Saturday, I made our favorite chicken salad with grapes and celery. The original recipe calls for 3(!) cups of mayonnaise (Hellmann's) for 3½ pounds of chicken breasts, poached. After I made another salad with half plain yogurt/half mayo, we decided we wanted to try this recipe with that combo. I've started roasting 5 pounds of chicken breasts on the bone because the big chicken breasts are tougher when I poach them. I used 1 cup each of whole milk Greek yogurt and mayo and it was plenty to create the "sauce" with the grapes cut in half. Will thought we might be able to up the proportion of yogurt next time. We were really happy with the outcome.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.