What are you Cooking the Week of July 2, 2023?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of July 2, 2023?

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

I think we're having hot dogs to test out the buns I made today.

chocomouse
      Participant

I made burger buns, subbing in whole wheat for some of the AP flour, and adding garlic and onion powder.

BakerAunt
        Participant

We were out of town July 3-5. We traveled to Brown County State Park to get our dog away from the fireworks. Frankly, it was better for us as well, as the evening of July 2 had fireworks going off all over the place. The worst was when we were awakened around midnight by people who had stopped at the field across the street and set off some loud ones. There was a brief lull, then it happened again, which brought both of us downstairs. My husband turned on the outside lights, and the people quickly left. When Independence Day is mid-week, it often turns into a weeklong blast fest.

When we got home on Wednesday night, I thawed the lentil, split pea, turkey, vegetable soup I had set aside for this reason in the freezer.

On Thursday, my husband cooked boneless pork chops, and I improvised a sauce of mushrooms sauteed in avocado oil, with flour, ½ cup chicken broth (Penzey's chicken base), a bit of milk, a tsp. flax meal, dried parsley, and pepper. I served it mixed with spinach noodles, and microwaved frozen peas. I had a chocolate Blood Orange Cake in the freezer which I thawed for dessert and made a glaze using the little bit of blood orange juice I had frozen.

Joan Simpson
          Participant

No cooking for me banana sandwich with a glass of milk.

BakerAunt
            Participant

Your banana sandwich brings back memories for me, Joan, of a peanut butter, honey, and banana sandwich that was my favorite quick meal at one of the campus eateries when I had to buy lunch as a college student. It was called a "Walter Wheat Bunny," for some reason. I sometimes make it for myself to this day.

I made stir-fry on Friday for dinner, using the leftover pork and deglazing from last night. In addition to the soba noodles. I mixed in at the end, I used carrots, red bell pepper, celery, mushrooms, broccoli and, from our garden, green onion tops, kale, and snow peas.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

When I was 5 or so, we sometimes spent Sunday afternoons on a farm just outside of town. The people running it were from England, and at 4PM things came to a halt for tea, with banana sandwiches (mashed bananas and butter spread on bread.)

They moved back to England after a year or two, just couldn't make farming work for them in the USA. I still drink hot tea but haven't made banana sandwiches in years. (Their disdain for iced tea also rubbed off on me, can't stand the stuff!)

Assuming the weather cooperates for another hour or so, I'm going to do burgers on the grill tonight, to test out the burger buns I made yesterday. My impression of them as hot dog buns is that they're good, but not as soft as Moomies. Haven't made up my mind on the flavor yet, but that's more easily adjustable.

BakerAunt
                Participant

My grandmother liked to slice bananas and add a little milk and sugar to them. As kids, we enjoyed that treat.

On Saturday, I made broth, using the bones from a turkey and from a chicken that I had in the freezer.

I also made four jars of black raspberry jam. I will freeze any remaining black raspberries and use them in combination with blackberries when the blackberries ripen.

chocomouse
                  Participant

For dinner, we had grilled salmon, asparagus from the freezer, and some leftover Cowboy Caviar. Just as we sat down to eat, the thunder started.

Joan Simpson
                    Participant

Last night I made a pizza so good for a change.

Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

I haven't done a pizza on the outdoor grill yet this summer, gotta plan on that.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.