What are You Cooking the Week of July 1, 2018?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are You Cooking the Week of July 1, 2018?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

We will be starting our week with leftover stir fry from last night. For those of you starting the week out by cooking, here is the thread.

Spread the word
      navlys
      Participant

The other night I decided to cook baby rack ribs in my fagor non-electric pressure cooker which I never use. I went on you tube and found some recipes and techniques. After a few minutes I couldn't tell if the button had popped or not. I kept the pan on high heat for awhile and then I panicked and put it under the faucet. Then I changed my mind and put it back on the stove for a few more minutes. Then I removed the ribs, sauced them, covered them in foil and baked them at 300* for 1hr. They were swell.

BakerAunt
        Participant

I made another batch of black raspberry jam this afternoon (details will be posted on the canning thread).

For Monday night’s dinner, I made potatoes with panko and parmesan encrusted boneless chicken breasts. Instead of using garlic powder, onion powder, and chives in the coating, I opted to use ½ tsp. Penzey’s poultry seasoning and to add a bit of onion powder and a bit of black pepper. As usual, I roasted the cut-up potatoes, rubbed with olive oil and sprinkled with poultry seasoning for 30 minutes at 400F, then turned the temperature down to 375F, pushed the potatoes to either side of the pan, put the breasts in the center, then roasted for another 30 minutes. On the side we had the last of the green beans from the farmers’ market AND the first of the green beans from our garden.

RiversideLen
          Participant

After much debate about delivery or cooking something, I decided to cook a hamburger. I wanted to use up my potato salad.

BakerAunt
            Participant

Tuesday dinner was a salad with leftover chicken breast on top, leftover roasted potatoes, and SWEET CORN! I found it at the farmers’ market when I went before dinner, and the Amish farmer said it had been picked just three hours before. Oh, it is so delicious.

chocomouse
              Participant

Dinner last night was grilled salmon, potatoes roasted on the grill, and leftover cole slaw. We're hosting a large family gathering today, so I'm doing a lot of cooking. I made a chicken-grape salad, and pickled cauliflower. I'm about to start a ham and cheese macaroni salad and baked beans. The temp for today is forecast to be 97, so I don't know if we'll have a fire to cook hot dogs and s'mores or skip that. Farm-fresh corn is available here now, but we don't eat it. It is advertised as "local" but that means three hours away, probably in MA; we'll wait for real local, 20-30 minutes away or less, from one of the many farm stands. Baker Aunt, it sounds like you make good use of your farmers' market!

BakerAunt
                Participant

Dinner was more sweet corn, steamed broccoli, pan-fried hamburgers (my husband did not want to grill in the heat) on Wheat-Oat Flax Buns, and for me, a side salad of sliced onion, tomato, and cucumber with a sugar-cider vinegar marinade. (Thank you, S. Wirth!)

I do need to work on my hamburger pan-frying technique. I don't think that I've cooked a hamburger since my single days, and then I used the microwave....

The ground beef we bought at the farmers' market was excellent, and I will buy from that vendor again.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 10 months ago by BakerAunt.
                  Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

I made potato salad to go with hot dogs and Irish apple cake.

Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

We stopped at the North Market in Columbus OH on the way home from Pittsburgh and I bought some veal. I used it tonight to make Veal Zurich (veal in a white wine and cream sauce), served on spaetzle.

navlys
                      Participant

I made pizza with the TJ’s crusts . I boiled sausages in expired apple juice and used them on the pizza with pesto, Peppi’s Pizza sauce (yum) mozzarella,red pepper and pineapple.

On another note if we move we won’t be near a TJ’s. Boohoo!

BakerAunt
                        Participant

I feel for you Navlys, as I have not lived near a Trader Joe's for nearly 24 years. Whenever I visit a place that has one, I try to stock up. Unfortunately, we have not been near a TJ for nearly three years.

navlys
                          Participant

You were not far from TJ’s in Florida. It was in St. Petersburg.

BakerAunt
                            Participant

Navlys--We actually had planned to return home via Gainesville, visit a couple we know there, and shop the TJ. However, the wife fell, broke a leg, and had to have emergency surgery the day before we left, so we went back the way we came (and there was no TJ on that route).

RiversideLen
                              Participant

On the 4th, I cooked strip steaks on the grill, served them with potato salad and asparagus.

BakerAunt
                                Participant

After leftovers for two nights, it is time to cook again. Whole chicken legs were 59 cents per pound at the grocery, so I bought a package with six, and at my husband's request, I’m making Maple Glazed Chicken with Sweet Potatoes and Rosemary (sheet pan dinner—and yes, I know that I also cooked it last week), to be accompanied by steamed green beans from our garden.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.