What are you Cooking the Week of February 5, 2023?

Home Forums Cooking β€” (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of February 5, 2023?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

We may just have another bowl of onion soup for supper, we've got leftover take-out we can have for lunch. Salad would be good, too.

Spread the word
      Joan Simpson
      Participant

We had Brunswick Stew from the freezer, easy day for me.

BakerAunt
        Participant

For Sunday dinner, we enjoyed more of the Butternut Squash, Farro, and Kale soup that I made yesterday. We all need some easy days!

chocomouse
          Participant

We had chicken salad sandwiches, on garlic and herb bread.

Mike, your French onion soup looked delicious -- that is what I was expecting when I ordered it at a restaurant last week! And yes, we watch the Mt. Washington weather closely when there are warnings. Life is different up there!

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

Several years ago I switched from using beef broth to using chicken broth for onion soup, I think beef tends to dominate the flavor profile, and of course I keep the salt down.

I haven't had a really good bowl of onion soup in a restaurant since the Playboy Club closed in Chicago, a LONG time ago. Usually the dominant flavor is salt. πŸ™

Joan Simpson
              Participant

Our neighbor gifted us some fresh oysters in the shell and we shucked them (not fun) but the taste was amazing ,we had oyster stew.

We had to go to town and I found Eggland's Best 18 count eggs at Target for $5.89 a carton ,I got 2. Milk was $2.99 a gallon got 2.I felt like I hit the jackpot.

chocomouse
                Participant

Joan, you did hit the jackpot! Here, eggs are 4.89/dozen (down from 5.89) and 2% milk is the same, 4.89/gallon. I need to shop on Wednesday, and I'm not looking forward to it.

Tonight we grilled ribs on the deck, and also had roasted veggies and cauliflower salad. Three nights ago it was -17, and today it was mid-30s.

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

We took a break from onion soup tonight and had salads.

aaronatthedoublef
                    Participant

Joan - 18 Eggland's best for under $8 would be a HUGE score here! Congratulations. πŸ™‚ I've been buying Kirkland "free range, organic" which are about $8 for 24 which is a good price these days. I do wonder how eggs can be "free range", "organic", and "vegetarian".

I've started making cheesesteaks. My sons were not impressed with the ones they had in Philadelphia on our last trip through. I forget which of the famous places we went to. I made my son one for lunch today.

chocomouse
                      Participant

Aaron, I have visions of a huge field of little brown and white eggs rolling around. That's free-range, right?

Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

Organic and vegetarian have to do with the diets the chickens are fed, don't they?

I wonder how much time 'free range' chickens spend taking advantage of their ability to walk around? I've seen more than one article suggesting it is near zero.

I was reading a review of Philadelphia cheese steak locations yesterday, Geno's got a really bad review, 13th out of 13, and Pat's was 10th:

https://www.tastingtable.com/389069/ranking-the-best-philly-cheesesteaks-from-worst-to-first/

Joan Simpson
                          Participant

Tonight we had spaghetti and meat sauce with garlic toast.

Aaron I love a philly cheese steak sandwich.Yum!

Mike Nolan
                            Keymaster

I think we're having tomato soup and fried cheese sandwiches for supper here tonight. Warm, simple and fast.

BakerAunt
                              Participant

We had leftover Butternut Squash, Farro, and Kale soup for dinner here, along with freshly baked Whole Wheat Sourdough Cheese Crackers.

RiversideLen
                                Participant

I had pork loin chops, a baked sweet potato and Brussels sprouts.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.