What are you cooking the week of August 4, 2019?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you cooking the week of August 4, 2019?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

We're in leftover mode after 2 weeks of having our son and his family here. I finished off the Genoa salami for lunch.

Spread the word
      chocomouse
      Participant

Leftovers are great -- they give you a break from cooking, even if you love to cook, and time to plan some meals of foods you haven't had for ages or foods new to you.

I have a huge pot of baked beans cooking. Dinner tonight, and the rest will go in the freezer for meals for my husband while I am gone for two weeks. I'm hoping there will be some leftover for dinner the day I get back home, so I don't have to cook then.

BakerAunt
        Participant

We have been eating leftover turkey breast the last few days, and re-running cooking fresh green beans in the microwave, and having an ear each of sweet corn. My husband thinks that we have now eaten all the beans from this crop.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by BakerAunt.
          Joan Simpson
          Participant

No real cooking here tonight I had a hot dog and pork-n-beans and my husband made him some beanie weenies.

Joan Simpson
            Participant

Tonight I fried a boneless chicken breast which we each get half of and thickened potatoes with creamed corn.

BakerAunt
              Participant

On Monday night, I made a stir-fry using the remaining turkey breast. We actually look forward to meat leftovers that can be turned into stir-fry. For vegetables, I used green onion (from farmers market), red bell pepper, carrots, celery, broccoli, snow peas (the last from our garden), the turkey, a bit of the drippings from when the turkey breast was roasted, and soba noodles. There is enough that we can have leftovers tomorrow.

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

We had tuna melts made with marbled rye bread and tomatoes from the garden tonight.

BakerAunt
                  Participant

On our Tuesday shopping trip, we came upon a good price on whole chicken legs, so I roasted the package of six for dinner. We had microwaved fresh broccoli as well I had bought fingerling potatoes at the farmers market about ten days ago, so I looked at internet recipes and chose this one:

My biggest problem is that I cannot fit my skillet (All-Clad not cast iron) into the oven with the roasting chicken. What to do? Cook the potatoes for 25 minutes after the chicken comes out? Or carry a hot skillet over to the apt. and use that oven there while the chicken finishes up in the house, then carry an even hotter one back? (If I could have fit a second oven into this kitchen, I would have done so.) I settled for using the apt. oven as well. The fingerling potato recipe is excellent. I will be making it again. However, I cut back the garlic, as a little goes a long way.

Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

I have a number of small dishes that I bought to fit our small oven (they have to be no more than about 8 1/2 inches wide to fit on the lower or middle rack), some glass and some metal. I find them handy when making multiple dishes in the big oven that I either want to keep separate or that have different cooking times.

Joan Simpson
                      Participant

I wanted Goulash tonight so that's what we had.I kinda go by Paula Deens recipe but only make a small amount.

RiversideLen
                        Participant

I pulled stuffed peppers from the freezer and roasted them, had it with a simple salad.

chocomouse
                          Participant

Tonight we had chicken thighs cooked on the grill, with bean salad, leftover pasta salad, and summer squash and zucchini from the garden. Winner, winner, chicken dinner!

BakerAunt
                            Participant

Mike--I do have a small countertop, convection oven that I bought a few years ago when my range was out for over a month. I need to unpack it and find a space for it in this kitchen. The small oven's one failing is that it is ridiculously difficult to set, but it does bake well, and I've used it for occasional vegetable side dishes.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by BakerAunt.
                              Joan Simpson
                              Participant

Tonight we had fried cubed pork,steamed cabbage ,macaroni and cheese with carrot raisin salad.

Joan Simpson
                                Participant

We had breakfast for supper..Bacon.grits,eggs and toast.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.