What are You Cooking the Week of August 25, 2019?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are You Cooking the Week of August 25, 2019?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

I'm not cooking tonight, but my husband is. He will fry some boneless pork ribs, which we will have with sweet corn and more of the bountiful green beans from our garden.

Spread the word
      Joan Simpson
      Participant

Using up left overs here we had lima bean soup and I made a churn of strawberry ice cream,all was good.

chocomouse
        Participant

Not much cooking here tonight! My husband fixed himself a BLT when he got home late, his lunch and dinner. I'm eating store bought mango-pineapple-ginger salsa on tortilla chips.

Joan Simpson
          Participant

Tonight we had fried cubed pork,fried okra and baked sweet potato.

chocomouse
            Participant

Dinner tonight was quesedillas, made with leftover pork sliced thin, onions, green peppers, cheddar-mozarella cheese, and salsa. I used mango-pineapple-ginger salsa on some, and tomato salsa on some.

BakerAunt
              Participant

To go with leftover pizza on Monday, I tried a new recipe for a buttermilk dressing that was in the latest blog post from Smitten Kitchen. She used it with Napa cabbage and made a salad with other vegetables, but I used it on a small head of green cabbage that I had from the farmers’ market. I made a half recipe. I didn’t have a shallot, so I added some minced red onion. I also used dried chives in place of fresh ones. After tasting it on the cabbage, I added a bit more sugar and ¼ tsp. celery seed. My husband, who sometimes eyes new dinner dishes suspiciously, dished up a small amount, then went back for more:

RiversideLen
                Participant

I made buckwheat pancakes for breakfast. I more or less followed the recipe on the bag but instead of using one egg, I used one egg yolk and 2 egg whites that I whipped up. Then I folded them into the batter which was already otherwise mixed. It made for very light pancakes.

This evening I took some of my homegrown tomatoes and made sauce from them.

chocomouse
                  Participant

Dinner tonight was kielbase, potatoes, onions, and cabbage, all sliced and cooked together in a cast iron fry pan.

Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

I was originally thinking sliders on the grill tonight, but then I decided sloppy joes sounded better, so after looking at several recipes online (including ones here) and checking the ingredients lists for Manwich (which has garlic) and Heinz Sloppy Joe mix (which does not have garlic but which I can't find anywhere), I made up a batch of sloppy joe mix.

I didn't use any green pepper in it, and that's the first thing my wife (who normally doesn't like green pepper) said it needed. So I think I'll try adding a little green pepper to the rest of the sauce (I made 2 1/2 quarts of it) and see if that helps. But my wife and I agree that it was pretty good for a first try at developing a recipe.

Joan Simpson
                      Participant

Tonight we had cubed steak,rice and tomato gravy,garden pea salad and I heated up left over steamed cabbage.

Joan Simpson
                        Participant

Tonight we had hamburger steaks smothered in onion and french fries.

BakerAunt
                          Participant

For dinner on Wednesday, I roasted some chicken thighs on a rack, so that the fat can drip off. I put just a bit of olive oil on them and sprinkle with Penzey’s poultry seasoning. We ate it with an ear of sweet corn each and microwaved fresh broccoli. I also had a half tomato from our garden.

chocomouse
                            Participant

We had leftovers tonight, almost cleaned out the refrigerator.

Mike Nolan
                              Keymaster

We had tomato and salami sandwiches. I need to process tomatoes soon, I've got a lot of golf ball sized ones, probably enough to get 3-4 quarts of sauce.

RiversideLen
                                Participant

I made a couple of pork chops yesterday, so I had a pork chop yesterday and today. Had it with a little pasta with sauce made from my tomatoes. Had it with steamed broccoli and carrots.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.