What are you Cooking the Week of August 18, 2024?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of August 18, 2024?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    RiversideLen
    Participant

I had chicken, boiled potato, green beans and a simple salad.

BakerAunt
      Participant

We had leftover turkey-spaghetti squash "faux" lasagna, and more sweet corn.

Joan Simpson
        Participant

I had a chef salad.

chocomouse
          Participant

We had pizza.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

It was fend for yourself night, so I had a beef-and-salami sandwich.

BakerAunt
              Participant

I decided to roast another chicken on Thursday, as it goes well with sweet corn. We had bought a dozen ears for the three of us, and we are being good and only eating one per night, so the corn dictates what the entrée will be. We microwaved green beans from the garden to go with the chicken and corn.

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

We haven't had any sweet corn this season, and I'm not sure if the ones I planted as part of the soil test program are going to produce any. (The professor running the program has already noted poor germination rated with the corn for this year's common vegetable.)

chocomouse
                  Participant

Tonight my husband had a BLT and I had a green salad.

Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

We had salami and cantaloupe.

BakerAunt
                      Participant

I made coleslaw on Friday morning, using a red cabbage that I bought about a month ago at the farmers market. Cabbage keeps well when wrapped in saran and refrigerated. For dinner, I made Turkey-Zucchini loaf with Peach Dijon glaze, using peach jam that was left after canning last Sunday. We had it with the last ears of sweet corn and roasted sweet potato chunks.

Joan Simpson
                        Participant

I had a turkey sandwich with pickles.

Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

I wound up with about 10 pounds of useable tomatoes, so I'm making a batch of tomato sauce. Not sure what the yield will be, it is still cooking down.

Mike Nolan
                            Keymaster

I wound up with just under 4 pounds of sauce from 10 pounds of tomatoes (plus onions, spices and some cooking water), about 6-6 1/2 cups.

Gonna use some of it on a pizza for supper tonight, freeze some and possibly can some in a few days when it cools off. It only got to about 96 today but they're currently calling for 105 tomorrow.

BakerAunt
                              Participant

On Saturday afternoon, I used some of our tomatoes to make sauce, which I froze to use for pizza. I started with a scant 4 cups of tomatoes which I cooked down to about a cup.

For dinner, I made Crispy Oven Fish and Chips with Dill Tartar Sauce, which we had with more of the coleslaw that I made yesterday.

Mike Nolan
                                Keymaster

I used half of the King Arthur Keto Pizza Mix (it makes two 12-inch pizzas) and our usual toppings, and it came out pretty good. The mix is actually lower in carbs (total and net) per slice than the pizza made using the King Arthur Keto Wheat Flour.

It should reheat well, too, so it'll be supper tomorrow, too.

I will definitely buy more of this mix. (It costs less per pizza than the one made with the Keto Wheat Flour, too, but either one is still a whole lot less than take-out pizza, even if we use expensive toppings like artichoke hearts.)

The tomato sauce I made today tastes fairly sweet, the tomatoes I used were mostly 4th of July and Porter, but it was acceptable on tonight's pizza. Took about a half-cup of sauce. I simplified the recipe, leaving out the garlic and red wine, so it was just: 10 pounds of tomatoes, 4 onions, water and some spices (oregano, thyme, parsley, salt and pepper.) I think I'm going to mostly make tomato sauce this year, we still have tomato juice left over from last season.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.