What are you Cooking the week of April 5, 2020?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the week of April 5, 2020?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Joan Simpson
    Participant

We had meatloaf,potato salad and green butter beans.

BakerAunt
      Participant

Wednesday night’s dinner was stir-fry using leftover pork, carrots, celery, red bell pepper, broccoli, and soba noodles. Mushrooms would have been nice, but the ones at the store on Tuesday did not look good.

I gave the wrong name: it's Penzey's Salsa & Pico. The ingredients are: shallots, cumin, garlic, black pepper, Mexican oregano, paprika, cilantro, Jalapeno pepper, chipotle pepper. I think that I also used it in a chili that I made. I find a little goes a long way. I have it because of a special Penzey's offer in the past. I agree that it adds to beans.

RiversideLen
        Participant

I baked boneless chicken breasts, I had it with rice and broccoli.

Italiancook
          Participant

I'm on the way to the kitchen to make Martha Stewart's Carrot Salad from her cookbook, Entertaining. Will have it with grilled pork chops tonight.

chocomouse
            Participant

We had cornbread and bean soup for dinner. I added 1/2 tsp of Penzey's Salsa & Pico seasoning (thanks BakerAunt; we both had the name incorrect!) which improved the flavor a lot. Interesting that I had used all the same spices in the soup that are in the Penzey seasoning, except no jalepeno or cilantro. Adding the 1/2 tsp was perfect.

RiversideLen
              Participant

I'm baking a leftover chicken breast drenched with sauce and topped with mozzarella, having it with spaghetti and cauliflower and carrot.

Joan Simpson
                Participant

I made stew beef with gravy and put it in the crock pot to tender,we had that with rice and Italian beans.

navlys
                  Participant

I found this beautiful loaf of french bread at Publix and made french bread pizzas with sausage and peppers and pesto and pizza sauce and mozzarella cheese. I toasted the bread halves for 5 minutes before topping them with "stuff".

Joan Simpson
                    Participant

Navlys your pizza sounds good.

We had taco salad and I rolled mine in a flour tortilla.

chocomouse
                      Participant

Dinner tonight was salmon patties, green salad, and cornbread. I'd never made salmon patties before -- canned salmon, celery, onion, eggs, crumbled saltines, sauteed in olive oil. They were OK, a nice change on a chilly evening.

Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

Back when we were in college, a local pizza place (Gullivers, on Howard Street at the north end of Chicago) made the best pizza bread I've ever had. There was nearly always a long wait for a table, and diners would put in one if not multiple pizza bread orders while waiting, and sometimes finish them before a table opened up.

The restaurant changed hands some time around 1980, and I've been told the new owners changed the pizza bread recipe to make it cheaper, and many people stopped buying it. (Evanston also went 'wet' around then, so there wasn't as much reason for Northwestern students to travel to Chicago to order alcohol.)

I like making pizza with sandwich rolls, but I've done it with baguettes as well. I haven't tried it with Challah yet.

BakerAunt
                          Participant

I made another batch of yogurt today. I used the last of my Stonyfield full-fat plain yogurt to do so. (It lasted remarkably well and gave me five batches.) The next batch of yogurt will have to be made with yogurt from this batch. That will work for a while, but eventually I will need a new carton of plain yogurt.

Joan Simpson
                            Participant

We had hamburger steaks with sauteed onions and a salad from leftover lettuce,and tomato and cheese from last nights tacos.

Mike Nolan
                              Keymaster

My second batch of sauerkraut is coming along nicely, it should be to the tasting stage by next weekend.

I've ordered a 4 gallon crock, because a one gallon crock just doesn't make enough kraut. It should be here around Wednesday, so I'm looking around for the lowest price on cabbage. Most of the time it is in the 75-80 cent per pound range, ahead of St. Patrick's Day it will often go on sale, this year I bought some for 28 cents per pound.

BakerAunt
                                Participant

Dinner on Saturday was Salmon and Couscous with Penzey’s Greek seasoning. We had microwaved frozen mixed vegetables with it. The frozen vegetables are from the Gordon Food Service 2.5 lb. package that appeared this week in our local grocery, as the manager finds sources who sold to restaurants. These are quite nice, as they have FIVE vegetables: carrots, corn, peas, green beans, and baby lima beans. There were still a bunch of bags when we went again later in the week, so we bought another at $3.99 per bag.

• This reply was modified 4 years ago by BakerAunt.
                                Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.